Window motor

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Window motor

Postby yesdear » Sun May 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Any advise on how to change the window motor on a 1982 Dodge with the window stuck down.
I see two other people asked this question a few years ago but no advice posted. hoping someone out there knows what to do.
Then will need to find a motor.
yesdear

Car Information: 1982 Dodge 400 convertible

Re: Window motor

Postby Pete in NH » Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Pat,

Well, no experience with power windows in K cars here both cars are/were crank up windows. But, looking in the shop manual as you mentioned Did you try the Lift Motor Window Test? This is done directly at the two wire window motor connector and would tell you if the the motor itself is the problem or okay. There is the possibility the up/down control switch itself is bad or there is some other wiring issue. Reversing the power leads to the motor controls the up/down direction.You should be able to access the motor two wire connector by removing the interior door trim panel.

Good luck and let us know what you find. Good to hear from you again as we start a new car season, sorry it has to be with a problem. Just part of the joys of owning an older car. By the way. Rockauto.com lists the window motors. It appears there are right and left side types. i can look up the original Chrysler part number if you need it.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby yesdear » Sun May 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Hey Pete great to hear from you again. The car is running great so far.......
First we couldn't get the window down so we pushed a bit and it went down.The window was stuck down when we hit the button we heard no noise. Now we got the window up manually but the regulator wont move.Now when he hits the button he hears the motor noise. Mike is outside now trying to figure it out. The one guy we had that new what he was doing has moved to Maine. Really hoping someone has an idea. I hate to take it back to another shop since that always seems to cause more issues. Hoping to meet you at a show this year. This is day two trying to figure this one out. I was really hoping you knew about this since you seem to be a wealth of information! Pat
Going to try what you just suggested will update.
yesdear

Postby yesdear » Sun May 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey Pete good news we took it all apart the window must have been jammed put it back together and its working again. Cant wait to meet some of the guys at a car show this year
Thanks again for all your help
yesdear

Postby Pete in NH » Mon May 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Pat,

Glad to hear the window is working again! Sometimes we get lucky nad it is something really simple..
Pete in NH

Postby yesdear » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Pete: Mike and I want to stay with K-club how do we pay the dues do you know? I posted but haven't found a reply. Also do you know when the show is in PA? Hope all is well our car is running great now.
yesdear

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Pat and Mike,

I'm not sure about the PA shows , perhaps someone else will chime in on those. On the dues I think things are somewhat up in the air on what will be done exactly and when. You might contact Guy, 89Aries, by private message and see what the plans are. I don't hink a real payment method other than donation to the club has been set up yet. Glad to hear the car is running great and with summer here you can enjoy it this year.
Pete in NH

Return to Technical Support