how to press insulator into engine mount

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

how to press insulator into engine mount

Postby bret signorelli » Mon May 21, 2012 2:20 am

I replaced the insulator in the front center engine mount on my 84 new yorker , but now the car vibrates . I bent up the insulator pretty bad pounding it into the engine mount with a hammer , but it was the only way I could get it to fit.I'm ordering another insulator. Any suggestions on how it's supposed to fit in there? Thanks
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Re: how to press insulator into engine mount

Postby mkjohnson39 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:24 pm

See the later entry on this page.
Last edited by mkjohnson39 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkjohnson39

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant 1986

Postby bret signorelli » Tue May 22, 2012 2:27 am

sounds like mine but I'm worried because the car ran great before , I only changed it because when I put it in gear there was a slight bump.I'm thinking it might be because the engine is no longer leveled in the correct position , if that's even possible. well I'll let you know when I either fix it myself or have a mechanic do it for me.
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Postby mkjohnson39 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 pm

I found out at a tech school that the motor mounts must be installed and left loose. Allow the engine to idle and a few revs to allow the mounts to settle in.
He did this and the idle vibration problem was resolved once they were tightened normally. It worked.
mkjohnson39

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant 1986

Postby reliant 85 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 am

I used the smallest c-clamp that I could find to fit around the insulator and then slipped it into place up to the c-clamp then took c-clamp off and repositioned it on the insulator then tapped with hammer as I was loosening the c-clamp until the insulator was properly seated. This particular insulator was in the shape of metal square with one side cut out in it. Putting c-clamp on opposite sides of the cutout. Reference second motor mount on this webpage - http://www.partstrain.com/store/?N=0&src=search&Ntt=Motor+and+Transmission+Mount&tahsearch=1&tahgroup=ugs&tahrank=12987350&tahscore=6.2156067

Not sure if this would help in your situation but this was the only solution I could do without the expense of a mechanic to solve it. And of course in my installation situation it was the front bracket motor mount in which I had taken the bracket completely off the car so that I could work freely on it.
reliant 85

Car Information: 1985 Plymouth Reliant LE

Return to Technical Support