Wiper Linkage Just not Co-Operating

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Wiper Linkage Just not Co-Operating

Postby Timbone1343 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I have an 89 Reliant K with the 2.2L
When we first got the car I had to replace the bushing's as they were completely rotted out.

We live in FL and it's the rainy season and just my luck the dang linkage disconnected to the drivers wiper.

I replaced the bushing last night but today on the way to work it fell off again. I'm not sure where it fell off but I'm just curious if anyone has any tips for me on this..

The bushing kits that they sell at advanced auto (Part # 49447) does not have all the correct bushing I believe.. The crank on the motor looks like it needs a special bushing but I didn't have it so I cut the top off of the one that was on there last night and pushed it down and put another one on top. It seemed to hold onto the crank very well so I thought It'd be fine.
However when I tried to put the linkage onto the crank it was VERY hard. I ended up having to use a hammer and a socket behind it to pop it on there. I had to do the same to get the bushing in the linkage at the wiper end. I am curious at to whether I put the link on backwards or not. I don't understand why it's popping off if it's so tight when it goes on.

Can anyone tell me which way the linkages are supposed to face? If you grasp what I'm saying here.. One side is concave and one side is convex. Is the Concave side supposed to go towards the front or back of the car. I currently have it facing the back of the car.
Timbone1343

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K LE 1989

Re: Wiper Linkage Just not Co-Operating

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Shouldn't have cut it to get it on. It's just that much of a pain in the butt to get the bushings seated. We replaced bad linkage on my 82 Aries and oh my god was it horrid to get it together. We had to use channel locks and smash the pieces together.
Dodge Aries K

Return to Technical Support