CHRYSLER E-CLASS seeping

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

CHRYSLER E-CLASS seeping

Postby polonez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Helllooo :twisted: :D again me! i take one photo today about a seeping problem under the car near the A/T, how you can see in the photo i need a new seal, the problem is that i dont know the name in english of this seal, i was on rockauto and i really dont know what seal i can buy, pleaseee help mmmmeeee , thank u

polonez

Car Information: chrysler e-class 2.2 turbo

Re: CHRYSLER E-CLASS seeping

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:41 pm

I think you are looking at the transmission output shaft seal.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi, its good to see ya polonez! My guess is your transmission is leaking. This is very common with high mileage K-Cars. Mine does it at
211,000 original miles. If it is not near the exhaust, and not a lot, I wouldn't worry about it. But, let me see what I can find on the subject. I know
we have a lot of new members here that would love to see pics of your E-Class. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby polonez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Thank u K-CAR_WAGON and 89Aires! ;) , what do u think i should do ? should change or not? is it very difficult to change this part?, Aires u tell me your car have the same problem, do u chage this seal?
polonez

Postby wjajr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

http://www.rockauto.com/
Look under:
1984 CHRYSLER E CLASS 2.2L 135cid L4 Turbocharged : Transmission-Automatic : Output Shaft Seal
Three manufactures listed:
TIMKEN Part # 3459S
NATIONAL Part # 3459
SKF Part # 15750

This seal is used on a lot of cars over a 20 year span in addition to Chrysler products, and can be found at an auto parts store in France.

My 1982 LeBaron is dripping in the same spot. A transmission guy told me yesterday that sometimes the leak can be between seal and case, and also between shaft and seal.

Once you have drive shaft removed, examine it where seal would make contact looking for a small grove. If you find a grove, take some 400 grit sand paper and try to smooth it out, and replace the seal. If it is leaking between seal and case clean oil from casting, dab a little sealant around it and drive in seal.

To remove axel:
Unbolt caliper, and hang it out of the way with wire.
Remove axel end nut from center of hub. It has been torqued down at 160+ lb ft
Remove speedometer gear from transmission
Disconnect ball joint from hub, disconnect sway bar at lower control arm on both sides car and swing bar down to allow lower control arm more movement to disconnect ball joint.
Swing hub & strut out and off to one side enough to allow drive shaft to be pulled from hub. Carefully pull drive shaft from seal. A few pints of transmission fluid will drain out once shaft is removed.

Before you attempt this repair get a repair manual to fully explain all the details, torque settings, and tips as to how to remove the center nut from axel.
wjajr

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Mark Cross Convertible

Postby polonez » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

thank u so much wjajr to give all this usefull informations!
polonez

Return to Technical Support