Code 34 on non-turbo reliant

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Code 34 on non-turbo reliant

Postby Vogelsong » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi all,

I have an 88 2.5 tbi reliant, auto. Car came with a/c but it doesn't work. Anyway, the other day while cruising at about 35 the car coughed once or twice. Then yesterday it started to just shutoff, it did it a few more times today.

Sometimes it restarts fine sometimes it needs a minute before it will start. It does this whether it's warmed up or stone cold.

If I cycle the ignition it gives me a code 34, but the list of codes I have says this code is related to a turbo cars EGR solenoid.

This car is obviously not turbo'd.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, the car isn't the prettiest thing, but it's a solid work car and only has 65k miles on it so I'd like to keep it around.

I'm gonna continue to hunt the forum and the web awhile. I checked out the code page but that didn't have a code list that I thought I saw there before. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Anyway, look forward to any help you can afford.

Rick
Vogelsong

Car Information: 1988, Plymouth, Reliant, 2.5L, Auto w/ Console AC

Re: Code 34 on non-turbo reliant

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 pm

See this link for code 34.
http://www.minimopar.net/fault/code34.html

Link for general list of fault codes.
http://www.minimopar.net/fault/index.html#31-37

I am not sure whether or not code 34 is relavent to your described failure. Do you have a cruise control option on your car and do the fails seems to be realted to its use? There are some failures you can get without any fault codes such as maybe a bad fuel pump or an intermittent electrical connection.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi,

Sounds like it could be an intermittant electrical issue, especially the engine cutting out momentarily. You might want to check the connectors on the engine control module located along side the battery. Those connectors can get water in them and corrosion. They should have grease in them to water proof them but the grease eventually melts out. Cleaning those connectors and others located around the throttle body can eliminate a lot of quirky problems.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:38 pm

The car doesn't have cruise. However, I think I remember the speedo going bonkers during one of the stall events, but now it won't do it to reconfirm. If it does do it again and the speedo flips out I'm gonna look in the vehicle speed sensor area for the problem first.
Vogelsong

Car Information: 1988, Plymouth, Reliant, 2.5L, Auto w/ Console AC

Return to Technical Support