Front right Brake!

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Front right Brake!

Postby clasicolebaron » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Hello to all,
Have a question to you all wonderful collectors; My front right brake (rotor/pad) has stuck/not disengage after been driving for a while or been usung it for a long time (stuck on traffic) and smeel like pad's bur, like a trailer's brakes on a highway.
What would that might be? afterit gets cold, it disengages and like nothing happen.
Ideas? Suspicions? Have taken it to garage and as usual, Foudn Nothing wrong.
:?

Jave
;)
clasicolebaron

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler Lebaron sdn, 2.5l

Re: Front right Brake!

Postby vintage2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Hello,

Several things can cause a stuck caliper (that's the reason your brakes are stuck). The usual culprit is dry and sticking sliders on the calipers. To correct this condition, remove the wheel and the sliders (bolts holding the caliper on). Remove any rust and lube lightly with special silicone brake lube (Do NOT use regular grease!!!). Replace sliders and you're good to go. With this repair you don't even have to remove the caliper from its position, just the slider bolts. I believe ninety percent of disc brake failures are caused by dry sliders. Foreign car makers have required lubing sliders every 30K but domestic makers usually don't even mention it.

If that doesn't cure your problem you probably have a bad caliper and need to replace it.

Good Luck

Chuck
vintage2

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible, Mark Cross

Postby clasicolebaron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:13 am

Hi Chuck,

Well thank you very much for your detailed advice, I will do that and follow your instructions, and of course will notify you either my success or demise.

Regards from YVR.

Jave
:D

Jave
;)
clasicolebaron

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club and I think Chuck has about covered things. The caliper rides on small plastic bushings on the caliper pins, made sure they are not damaged and in place. While cleaning the pad guide tracks make sure the rotor has not become over heated by the previous brake hang ups and that the pads are not cooked as well. If there are any signs of overheating replace the parts. New rotors for these cars are quite inexpensive so why take a chance? As Chuck said if it happens again replace the caliper assembly. If you do I would replace both calipers, they too are relatively inexpensive. Check out Rockauto.com

Good luck and again welcome to the club!
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 pm

In addition to everything previously mentioned, sometimes a clogged or defective brake hose can also cause a wheel to lock up sometimes. Sometimes the faulty brake hose acts as a one way check valve and holds pressure.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby clasicolebaron » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Thank you to Pete and K-Wagon for your advice and comments, I will do my best, also hope sometime soon to upload a few more pics my little car.
Javie
:mrgreen:

Jave
;)
clasicolebaron

Return to Technical Support