Now she cranks and cranks with no start...

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Now she cranks and cranks with no start...

Postby Vogelsong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Now after 2 weeks of intermittent stalling, and hard starting. I've done a complete tune-up, battery, coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

It was throwing code 34 consistently, then after the tune-up started throwing code 37. Then a few days later started throwing both, and always kept stalling. I check over connections, pulled the big white plug next to the battery under the computer. All looked good, with no corrosion.

Now today it shut off and won't start at all, it just cranks and cranks, but won't start. The vehicle speed sensor and the torque converter lockup solenoid both had fluid inside the sockets where the plugs go, and i was going to replace them. At least the VSS anyway, it's the only one I can find in the aftermarket.

However, now it won't start at all. I pulled the coil wire at the distributor and put it against a bolt and there was no spark when cranking so I'm gonna get a plug and try it again to be sure.

Anything common in the electrical that goes out in these things?
Vogelsong

Car Information: 1988, Plymouth, Reliant, 2.5L, Auto w/ Console AC

Re: Now she cranks and cranks with no start...

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am

Pushed her the quarter mile home last night. This morning she started go figure, I'm letting it run in the drive way to see if it shuts off while just sitting there. Tonight I'll drive it around the neighborhood and wait for it to shut off and see if I get any codes.
Vogelsong

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am

Well she shut off just sitting in the driveway idling, but still isn't giving me a code, and wont restart. I noticed too that when I turned on the key after it shut off. The fuel pump didn't makes it's little farting noise, and it doesn't have any spark again.
Vogelsong

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Try reading through this thread. Some troubleshooting information is included regarding testing if the ASD relay is working, if the fuel pump is working, if fuel is getting to the throttle body, etc. In particular try following some of Butch's troublshooting advice.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1119
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Well the fuel pump isn't running under normal circumstances either I've found. It only runs if I backfeed current to it via jumping the + of the battery to the + of the coil.

So it has no spark and no fuel, and it still hasn't given me a code. Probably gonna replace the ASD and see what that gets me.
Vogelsong

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:54 pm

ASD relay replaced and no change, car still won't start, fuel pump still not running unless jumped.

Is there any way to bypass that relay?

Is there anything else that can kill both spark and fuel at the same time?
Vogelsong

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Ok so jumping sockets 87 and 30 at the relay plug will make the fuel pump run also. So the relay for some reason is not being energized.

Any suggestions?
Vogelsong

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:40 pm

I just pulled the both connectors on the ecm, all look good. The 60 pin connector still has has some white di-electric grease on it that is in good shape. The pins are all shiny and nothing looks out of order, the smaller connector same thing although the grease inside is very dark and think, the pins and all are still shiney and show no corrosion.
Vogelsong

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Maybe you can find some info on this link to trace to wiring and see why power is not reaching the ASD relay. (Look under no engine feed section.)
http://minimopar.net/electrical-powerfeeds.html
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Vogelsong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey K-car,

You're on the right track. As soon as I read the part about the ignition reference sensor I went out and hooked the battery back up. The symptoms described are exactly my car, cranked the engine and guess what. Now I have a code 11, no ignition reference signal.

Getting closer!!!
Vogelsong

Next

Return to Technical Support