Catalytic Converter Question

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Catalytic Converter Question

Postby scribs76 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 am

Ok so i changed out my O2 sensor and ordered a new converter..My question is i ordered a converter for a 1985 2.6 engine not the 2.2 which i have..Will this be a problem? I mean its the same yr just different engine.If it fits correctly why not use it..Make a difference? Or will i have to send it back.
scribs76

Car Information: 1985 4 door Lebaron

Re: Catalytic Converter Question

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 pm

I don't think it's going to fit. The front pipe into the converter looks like it's bent different and Walker shows two different part numbers between the 2.2 and 2.6. Rock Auto at www.rockauto.com lists the correct part for the 2.6.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby scribs76 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 am

Thanks Pete..Yeah it didn't fit..I found the right catco and ordered it..wait thought i did..still looking.
Last edited by scribs76 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
scribs76

Postby scribs76 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:27 am

Ok so i returned the cat that was ordered wrong..Now im stumped..I cant seem to find a cat to fit my car model..Its a 1985 4 door 2.2 L4..I can find the turbo for that yr but does not fit. Are there any other cats out there i could use? The pipe from the manifold to old cat was 1 7/8 OD..Can i buy a universal cat with 2 inch OD inlet and outlet with an airtube and slip the 1 7/8 into the 2 inch and weld? Both the old and the one im looking at are about 16 to 17 inches long (cat).The dimensions seem about right. May have to bend the outlet pipe to fit in with the existing exhaust and thats about it..Will this work? Closest i could find. Any suggestions well appreciated. here is link.http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performance- ... 7AodvnsAJA
scribs76

Postby scribs76 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:45 am

another link..Think i found it..Just need second opinion.http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/C ... 94014.html
scribs76

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:08 pm

It's interesting that you can no longer find exact replacement direct fit converters from companys like Walker and that most of what is available are universal types that require welding onto the old pipes. That part you referenced above is supposed to fit. I also came up with an Eastern #20128 diirect fit that includes pipes if it is still available. Good luck, this stuff is getting to be a challenge as these cars disappear.
Pete in NH

Postby scribs76 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 am

Update..Replaced O2 and cat had it welded and fit the rest with clamps..Everything fit properly and went together nicely..BUT..There is always a BUT..Exhaust is loud. I listend carefully and noticed more of the loudness coming from the back of the exhaust.When i got the car it was loud and changed the muffler and it got considerably quieter. That was about 12k miles ago. Could i use a new muffler perhaps? Also noticed a small hole where noise was coming from as well towards the back of the exhaust about a ft from the muffler..Did they put this whole here in that model? If not do i need to get back under and replace that pipe as well? Also will a new O2 and aftermarket cat cause the car to be louder? Runs great and i notice it has more power..Just Loud..Pete im originally from Salem NH btw. Thanks for helping out as well..
scribs76

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:15 am

Yes, these cars are dissappearing, and fast. Scribs, can you send me a video of your car to aries89@chryslerkcar.com? Thanks for all your help.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby scribs76 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 am

Ok i will this week..Runs great!! i was avoiding the whole new exhaust thing and tie in after the cat but i just noticed the hole after starting and the noise. Engine runs great..Has to be that small hole or muffler.Unless the weld is not proper.Ill put it back up on the ramps and feel around for air escaping. Ill get back this week.
scribs76

Postby Pete in NH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi,

I'm sure you wouldn't miss NH this winter, its been the coldest one I can remeber in 15 years and we still have 2 1/2 feet of snow on the ground.

On your exhaust system, you should not have any holes in the pipes in front of the muffler. They do frequently rust out right at the bends in the pipes or where the rear pipes clamp togther if they are aftermarket parts. Over thet years I have always replaced the rear pipes when replacing the muffler, it's just not worth trying to save them, when the muffler goes the rear pipes are not far behind.

On loudness, the upper line cars have a resonator right behind the catalytic converter, lower line cars have just a straight pipe.The resonator is like a second muffler and it does make them nice and quiet. My 86 Reliant, being a lower line car did not have a resonator and I added one. It made quite a difference.
Pete in NH

Next

Return to Technical Support