1985 Lebaron quit running

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1985 Lebaron quit running

Postby Lebarondriver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Last week my 1985 Lebaron 2.2 tbi died about 100 yards from my driveway. I put it in neutral and coasted in. It has not restarted since. At first I could not hear the fuel pump run so I thought that was my problem. After I unhooked the battery and reattached it the fuel pump started to work again but only for about three key cycles then it quits again. But even though the fuel pump runs occasionally it still will not start or fire at all. I also believe there is no spark but I need to confirm this yet. I have an old scan tool but I have not been able to get anything out of it except for an error reading. I have heard talk of an auto shutdown relay or inertia switch but am unsure of their locations. Any help would be appreciated. It has been a great car that I have driven for the past four years relatively trouble free until now.

Chris :?:
Lebarondriver

Car Information: 1985

Re: 1985 Lebaron quit running

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the club!

The first think I would do is take the distributor cap off and have someone crank the engine while you watch the rotor in the distributor. If it is not turning the timing belt has broken and must be replaced. This a common issue and I myself have coasted into the driveway years ago in my 84 Aries.

Most of the time what happens is the teeth on the timing belt strip off as the belt goes around the crankshaft gear.

If the distributor rotor is turning, post back and we'll look further from there.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Lebarondriver » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome. This is my second K-car and I love them.

I did some further looking and found the distributor rotor was physically broke off near the base. I had an old one and installed it and the spark is back but for some reason the fuel injector won't fire. I hear the fuel pump running and took the hose off to confirm fuel was getting to the throttle body. If I pour fuel down the throttle body it fires right off until the fuel is gone.
I ordered a new distributor pickup just in case mine was damaged when the rotor broke. I am wondering if that might have something to do with the fuel injector not working?

Chris
Lebarondriver

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Lebarondriver » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:35 pm

It has a 26 code.
Lebarondriver

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:09 pm

K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Lebarondriver » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:40 pm

I got my scanner hooked up this afternoon and after running through the tests I now have a 42 code in addition to the 26. Also when I run the spark fire or injector fire tests the fuel pump runs continually. I still am not seeing the injector fire. :?:
Lebarondriver

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi,

Code 26 is about the fuel injector and code 42 is about the ASD relay driver. What both have in common is they come out of the power module on the fender well next to the battery. Try removing the power module connectors, cleaning the contacts and apply a good contact clear like DeOxit( try Radio Shack) and reinstall the connectors.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Lebarondriver » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Well the car has set for awhile as other projects have taken over. Now I'm back at it and I ordered and installed a new power module. I installed it yesterday and after cranking and cranking I gave up, unhooked the battery and went inside. This afternoon I went back out and rehooked the battery hit the key and it was running. It ran fine for about 3 minutes and died. It still is showing a 26 code. It will not restart. :roll: I don't understand what happened for it to start. I have tried unhooking the battery and rehooking it with no success.
Lebarondriver

Postby Lebarondriver » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm

I just tried again after having the battery disconnected for 10 minutes. It fired right up and ran for about 3 minutes again and died. I keep looking for bad wiring or connections but can't find any :?: .
Lebarondriver

Next

Return to Technical Support