poor running reliant

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

poor running reliant

Postby ARTTY » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:26 am

Hi, everyone Artty here. I have a problem with my 87 reliant SE, 2.2. The other day the engine started running very rough at stop lights. As the car sits and idles, RPM's slowly go down and the engine stats to "chug". It doesn't always do it, though. Some days are worse than others. At times it feels like there's a missfire, Which you can hear at the tailpipe. It stumbles on acceleration, then feels pretty good after it gets up to speed. Just an hour ago after shutting off the engine, it "ran on" for one or two crankshaft revolutions. What the heck is happening here? Is the timing off? Any advise would greatly be appreciated! Looking forward to your reply.
ARTTY

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant four door, 2.2 S.F.I.

Re: poor running reliant

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi,

First i would see if there are any codes being shown by the engine computer system. Turn the ignition key to ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and the Power Loss light will flash out and stored codes. These codes are two digit numbers and the last will be a 55 indicating end of test. Codes being present may point to problem areas.

Second, look for any broken or cracked vacuum lines around the engine area especially around the throttle body area. There are many vacuum lines on these cars that are now old and brittle. There are also small right angle plastic fittings that often break. A vacuum leak will act as you describe.A vacuum leak would also include the gasket under the throttle body unit if it is leaking or the throttle body mounting bolts are slightly loose.

A sticky or dirty Automatic Idle Motor System (AIS) will also act as you describe. It may be time to do a rebuild on the throttle body unit, new gaskets, O rings and cleaning all the passages. You can try spraying some throttle body cleaner in there and see if things improve. Be careful to use only throttle body cleaner NOT any other type of cleaner. If the cleaner helps I would think about that throttle body rebuild.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby ARTTY » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 pm

Hi, Pete! Thanks for the prompt reply! Good advice all! An update of other things I've done to My car since yesterday include replacing the plug wires which made an unbelievable difference in the way the car runs. I also put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the tank after putting some way overpriced California gas in the tank. Wow, what a difference! So far, (knock on wood printed plastic...) she's running very well. I checked the plugs and they were very sooty, but still serviceable. Still smell catalyst, though. I hope I haven't ruined the converter by running the car rich like that- I just replaced that sucker and it cost me altogether around $420.00! :( Any who- thanks again for the reply and advice. Hope to hear from you again sometime! Have a good one, Pete! Artty S.
ARTTY

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant four door, 2.2 S.F.I.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Hello ARTTY. Thanks again Pete. Glad to hear your car is doing better. How about emailing me some pictures of the car, at aries89@chryslerkcar.com. Also, we will be having our car cruise in San Clemente on July 12th.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Technical Support