Some questions concerning my 87 K car

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Some questions concerning my 87 K car

Postby spankyway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:52 am

I bought this car less than a year ago for my daughter to drive. It run good and didn't give any problems. One day when she got home and turned the car off and, she said, when she turned the car off the engine stopped hard. Like turning off a manual transmission car, in gear, without pushing in the clutch. The car would start again but made a new noise and wouldn't stay running when put into gear.

I now have the car at my house and I need to get it ready for my next child to drive. I looked at the engine compartment and everything loos normal except the timing belt. It appears to have slid about a quarter the way off the pulley's and cut part of the cover. I need to put a timing belt on to make sure all that is good. But I'm concerned about why the belt is sliding off. Has anyone ever seen that? Also, I wonder iff the timing belt issue had anything to do with the car shutting off hard and not driving again. Any advice, info, or help would be appreciated.
spankyway

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant

Re: Some questions concerning my 87 K car

Postby 1987dodgearies » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:09 am

If the timing belt breaks the engine will shut right off because the valves are no longer going to be opening and closing as needed. But if the belt is still intact and just slid, I'm not sure how the valve timing is in comparison to the crankshaft. If it slipped and moved a tooth or two , that would certainly screw up your valve timing and not let it run. Hopefully, someone here will be able to chime in with some experience on this.

I had a timing belt just snap once, but never one that walked, the way your describing.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Return to Technical Support