2.2l Aries exhaust heat shields all came loose

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

2.2l Aries exhaust heat shields all came loose

Postby 1987dodgearies » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 am

Anyone else have the heat shields, which run above the exhaust pipe come loose and drop down? I wondered what was vibrating so much at stop signs ...so I looked under the car yesterday.
The shielding is supposed to be held up against the bottom of the car floor, by several bolts sticking down w/ nuts (holding up that sheet metal shielding). The aluminum shielding itself has all seemed to have corroded through, but only at the mounting points. I could see if the shields were make of steel and rusted, but they appear to be aluminum....Only the mounting points themselves basically rotted off. The heat shield is just laying on the exhaust pipe.

Its really strange that the shields are only bad where they had been bolted up. I'm thinking I might try to get the nuts off all the bolts and then use big washers to clamp them back in place. Anyone know if the bolts are spot welded in place or if they are fixed studs? Or are they going to turn, when I try to get the nuts all loose?
Id hate to have to take out the seats and carpet just to hold a wrench onto bolt heads if they are going to spin.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Re: 2.2l Aries exhaust heat shields all came loose

Postby marty mopar » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:18 pm

if you need the heat shields I probably have them

need the year and model

write me here: mkolner14@hotmail.com

www.arizonaparts.com
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Return to Technical Support