I need to start over with my diagnosis

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

I need to start over with my diagnosis

Postby Lebarondriver » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:36 pm

1985 Chrysler Lebaron 2.2 EFI
My initial problem was that the distributor rotor broke and the car quit running. After replacing the rotor, pickup, fuel injector, coil and power module I still have a 26 code and the only way it will run is if you pour gas down the throttle body. I have checked connections and grounds endlessly. Does the logic module or power module control the fuel injector firing? I think I am down to logic module or fuel pump. I don't think it is the fuel pump though as I explained in my previous post when I first installed the new power module it did start and run for a few minutes at a time.

This is by far the worst time I have ever had with an automotive repair. It's been soooooo frustrating!
Lebarondriver

Car Information: 1985

Re: I need to start over with my diagnosis

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,

That 26 code is related to current flow in the fuel injector. So, there is a good chance the fuel injector is not being energized. But, just to get the fuel pump problem possibility out of the way, the fuel pump should run for a few seconds when you first turn the key to the run position. You would be able to hear it run if you listen carefully for it at that time. You can also remove the fuel line at the throttle body and have a helper turn the key. You should see fuel flow out of the line. Catch it in a can or rag.

If you have fuel flow, we are back to the code 26 issue. Do you have a factory service manual? Also, do you have a volt -ohm test meter? This is likely an electrical issue and you will need to track through the wiring and make some trouble shooting measurements.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Lebarondriver » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:22 pm

I got a new logic module today. No improvement whatsoever. I have checked and rechecked the wires and connections going to the injector with no success. Even with my scan tool I cannot get the injector to fire. Something has to be keeping the computer from firing the injector, but what?
Lebarondriver

Postby Lebarondriver » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Thank you for all of your suggestions in this and my other post!! I finally think I got it whipped. I stopped by a local junk yard today and they had recently got in a plymouth reliant wagon that was hit in the side. I took off the power module and cut the connectors about 6" back. They luckily only wanted $10 for it.

I got home and decided not to even remove the connectors from the sockets. I just cut off the old connectors from the car and soldered all the wires to my new unit. With a turn of the key she was running again. I have driven it some already and had it running for quite a while. Everything seems to be back to normal. I almost had given up on it because it has been broken since april.

I still do not understand what the problem was or what I did to cause it. Maybe the power module I bought from rock auto was no good? Maybe the 10 and 12 pin connectors to the power module were always bad? Maybe in diagnosing my initial problem I killed the original power module? Maybe a little of everything?

I had already gotten 50,000 nearly trouble free miles from my 1985 Lebaron until this happened. Hopefully I will have another 50,000! :D
Lebarondriver

Return to Technical Support