Intermittent cold engine starting problems

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Intermittent cold engine starting problems

Postby rickdthomas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:23 pm

I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant that I inherited from my mother's estate. It currently has 101,000 miles, it has always been a dependable car until last winter. When the weather turned cold, it started running rough and using more gas. Then when the temp dropped to anywhere to from fifteen to twenty five degrees at night, sometimes it would not start. Sometimes the car would start the next morning and sometimes it would not. Well we have taken this car to five different mechanics which includes one dealership. Towed ten times.........The dealership and one mechanic stated the compression was low in one of the cylinders. They stated the engine needed to be rebuilt. The other mechanics stated the compression was not a problem. When it was cold and stayed cold the car would not start on consecutive days, during this time it sat in a mechanics (the one who stated it needed its engine rebuilt) lot waiting to be repaired, he never fixed after a month of waiting. I then had it towed to another mechanic, by then it was warmer. Again, it would not act up for him, he could not find anything wrong with the car. By then it was warmer and problem disappeared.

During the summer it did not have an incident, it appeared to be o.k. until Tuesday of this week. Except this time the temp was only in the mid fifties. With continued cranking, the engine fired rough a few times, but would not start. Started the next morning when it was warmer. Started rough and then ran. Ever since these problem started, the engine does seem to idle rougher. It has had a tune up with new plugs, wires, rotor and distributor.

I appreciate your help.

Rick
rickdthomas

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant 2.2 L

Re: Intermittent cold engine starting problems

Postby surgeman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Rick did you replace the distributor cap or the whole distributor with a new Hall Effect?I would also check the fuel pressure regulator,and the the psi coming from the fuel pump when it's cold...I would inspect the Hall Effect first..I have seen past issues with it acting up during cold days and cause the same problem you're having..One more thing...check the ignition coil for corrosion around it or leaks..If it's breaking down internally it will act up also when it's cold...
surgeman

Car Information: 1985 Dodge 600,1985 Chrysler Lebaron Both Vertible

Return to Technical Support