1985 Voyager 2.6L Has Severe Hesitation

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: 1985 Voyager 2.6L Has Severe Hesitation

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Packard Don » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:03 pm

It definitely belongs on it and is clearly shown in the repair manual too right next to the carburetor. It has only two lines: an inlet and an outlet and is in-line with the pump and carburetor. The fuel filter, which is also new, is before the fuel pump on the 2.6L and was installed the same time the new fuel pump was installed.
Packard Don

Car Information: 1985 Plymouth Voyager 2.6L Magic Camper

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Packard Don » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 am

Another followup. I took the parts book diagram of the vacuum components, enlarged it to full page and color coded it to make it very clear which hose goes where and came to the conclusion that either the schematic on the firewall is wrong or the diagram from the parts book is wrong. Whichever it is, the vacuum advance is shown on the schematic as connecting to the top side of the vacuum advance solenoid and to the bottom of it on the parts book diagram. If anyone has a 1985 2.6L on which to check, I would really appreciate some confirmation as to which is correct but I am presuming that the parts book diagram is proper as it shows the actual components rather than a schematic representation of them.
Packard Don

Postby Packard Don » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I have been in the garage all morning working on the vacuum line plumbing and got most of it routed properly but I came to a point where there were two hoses and two connectors left over that did not belong to each other! One connector is on the lower EGR diaphragm and I know it is supposed to go to the left-over connector on the 5-way manifold but the two hoses were coming from one of the sensors. I can't really see the sensors without taking apart a few things but there is no point when my diagrams do not show the connections clearly enough to know what goes where.

The sensors (temperature valves?) are at the bottom front of the carburetor with one at the center and has three connections and the other to the left (driver's side) of the carburetor and has two connections. They are impossible to see without disassembling the car and, since I have nothing to show how they should connect, I'll hold off on doing that until I get something clearer. I am hoping that someone here might have better views or some expertise to help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I also know for sure now that I cannot trust the schematic on the firewall because it has a couple things that are clearly wrong and even most other details on it are only vaguely like the actual components. One mentioned earlier is the connection of the vacuum advance shown in the wrong place but another is that it shows a 4-way vacuum line manifold while my car has a 5-way manifold. Mine is a very early '85 model, sold in '84, so perhaps there were changes but I would have expected the firewall schematic to be proper!
Packard Don

Previous

Return to Technical Support