86 Reliant Station Wagon getting flooded

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

86 Reliant Station Wagon getting flooded

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:09 pm

I got this 86 Reliant Station wagon that gets flooded with water everytime it rains. The worst of it is in the driver's side floor. But virtually everywhere inside the car is wet. I see that it's got to be running down from the roof somewhere because the inside's of the windows get wet too. But it's destroying the inside of the car. It's non-driveable now until I locate parts but I don't want it to get ruined. It's been sitting up 10+ years since I got a few months ago. It's an original 48,000 mile car. What's the most common leaking area to cause this much water on these cars? What should I use or do to fix it?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: 86 Reliant Station Wagon getting flooded

Postby AriesInAmsterdam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Maybe u have little rust around the bolds of ur chrome roofrails. Remove one strip with torx. After some years this little rubber/plastic/paper seal gets dry, turn into dust and won't keep ur car dry.

U could also check this black `hose` between trunk and roof, which contain powercable for viper on trunk window.

How abt the rust @driverside feetcompartiment, around the cable for the parkingbrake Or behind rearwheels at trunkfloor.
AriesInAmsterdam

Car Information: Dodge Aries LE Wagon 2.2 non turbo

Re: 86 Reliant Station Wagon getting flooded

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 pm

This one is totally rust free. It's 48,000 original miles, with a totally straight body. Even the exhaust system underneath. But especially on the driver's side floor it's a puddle of water. It's been raining a lot frequently here though. I do think it might have been the drip rail molding trim too. I took it off the passenger side and cleaned the channel out good and blew it out then added some clear weatherstipping silicone. I checked it a few days after some rain it appears it might be working. So Sunday I did the same thing to the other side. Hopefully that's all it was. It's suppose to be raining this week so I'll go check it again. I know the same thing is happening to my 65 Plymouth Valiant but I've been unable to figure out where it's coming from but suspecting the dried out urethane from the drip rail too but it's floors are already pretty much gone anyway.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support