Heater Control - Panel, Bi-level, Floor, Defrost

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Heater Control - Panel, Bi-level, Floor, Defrost

Postby keforbes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:03 am

I move the lower slider on the heater control but nothing happens, it stays on defrost with air blowing on the floor and windshield. Is there something electrical that makes the airflow change or is it controlled by a cable? Is there a schematic of the heater control? I can't find much in my Haynes Manual. I have a 1988 Dodge Aries without air conditioning.
keforbes

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries LE 4 door sedan

Re: Heater Control - Panel, Bi-level, Floor, Defrost

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby keforbes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:31 am

Thanks, I am betting whatever it is it happened at -40F this winter. There was one time in the extreme cold that I tried to move the slider and it was really stiff and I forced it to the defrost setting. Hopefully I didn't break something expensive. On the upside it is stuck at the defrost and floor setting because at least it will clear the windshield and heat the car in winter and cool the upper and lower level in the summer.
keforbes

Postby niceold600 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:28 pm

not long ago i replaced my radio. after closing the dash back up i checked to see whether everything worked and was dismayed to find that my heater control only worked on defrost. thought i had broken something or left something disconnected.

it turns out that , as k-car wagon stated, air flow is vacuum controlled, and defrost is the default setting. i was testing without the engine running. started the engine and airflow was directed where i wanted it. :oops:
niceold600

Car Information: 1986 dodge 600

Postby keforbes » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:19 pm

K-CAR_WAGON wrote:I think the temperature control setting is controlled by a cable, but the the controls for airflow direction are vacuum controlled using vacuum with two vacuum actuators, and the control panel acts a control routing the vacuum differently as a function of the selected setting, thus controlling the actuators located at the doors. You could have bad vacuum hose, bad actuator, bad control panel or a stuck door.

Hey K-CAR_WAGON,
You were absolutely correct about the vacuum problem. The service person who replaced my brake master cylinder jambed the small vacuum line between the master cylinder and the brake booster. It is all better now after the vacuum line was removed and repaired.
Thank you for the help.
keforbes

Postby aussiewoody » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:43 am

Great outcome from this thread and a lesson for us all - thanks
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Return to Technical Support