Who can decode my 86 Reliant SE fender code?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Who can decode my 86 Reliant SE fender code?

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm not sure if this was the appropriate section to post this question. But i'm looking to decode the fender tag on my 86 Reliant SE or can you even do it on these later years? I know when I took my VIN to the Chrysler dealer they gave me a couple pages of printouts on all the codes but that was for my 1999 Jeep Cherokee I use to have. Should they still be able to pull an 86 Reliant since it's Plymouth? Or is there anywhere that can decode this fender tag of mine?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Who can decode my 86 Reliant SE fender code?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:25 pm

The body tag plate decode definitions are available in the 1986 Dealer Parts Book

Body Tag:

Top Row:
Vehicle Order Number (12)
Vinyl Roof Code/Door Combo Code (3)
Transmission Code (3)
Order (1)

Middle Row:
Paint Procedure (3)
Primary Paint (4)
Secondary Paint (4)
Interior Trim Code (4)
Engine Code (3)

Bottom Row
Vehicle Shell (1)
Car line (1)
Price Class (1)
Body Type (2)
VIN (17)
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:49 am

Luckily my Chrysler dealer was still able to print out a VIR (Vehicle Information Report). It's pretty cool to have and I didn't have to pay anything for it. It's got all the fender codes decoded plus more, it always does on these VIR's. One thing I wanted to know is about the alternator. It says I have the code BAJ - 90 AMP Alternator - (Corporate)/(Bosch). Now does that mean I have the 90 amp Chrysler alternator or the 90 amp Bosch alternator? Because it asks that question when buying an alternator at the parts store. The only thing it doesn't say is the paint color name but it's like Dark Red and has Red interior. Looks like mine came with Standard Duty Brakes and Standard Duty Suspension which is another question that pops up when buying brakes. I will keep this information. Wonder what the window sticker would've said? I got one redone on my 1973 Charger but I doubt they can do one for an 86 Plymouth.
1p3bp

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I think BAJ is associated with Bosch. Most of them were Bosch. You can physically identify it from this page on Allpar.
http://www.allpar.com/eek/ELECTRIC.HTML

How/where did you get the window sticker redone? About what does it cost? I have some older Mopars and would like a window decal.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:17 pm

I think it was like window-sticker.com or something similar. It's been about 2 years since I've had it done. But I think they're like the only ones redoing them so it's only one place. I know Chrysler still has a copy of my factory assembly build card but I have to have it tagged before I can order it. I plan on doing it. For these later ones like my 86 this VIR report from the dealer is still pretty cool to have. If this Reliant looks good after a paint job and is reliable enough I might take it to a show. I know it's not a muscle car but it's pretty unique now and I know there's none around where I live. I don't think I've seen one on the road here in probably 20 years. I see more old Chargers than these K-cars. I guess they were all disposed of.
1p3bp

Return to Technical Support