86 Reliant how can I check my a/c compressor

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

86 Reliant how can I check my a/c compressor

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:31 am

Ok now that we got this 86 Reliant 2.2 running good and driving. I want to see what has to be done in order to get the a/c functioning. Again it has an original 48,115 miles on it. Before this past Saturday it hadn't been started and run in 11 years. It now runs great. I changed the entire fuel system but for the tbi unit and the metal fuel lines, did an ignition tune up, 3 belts, air filter, oil change, two new headlights, thermostat, reverse bulb, and it still needs two liftgate shocks and some new tires. But the a/c doesn't come on. I suspect probably the freon vented out over the years sitting outside. The compressor isn't locked and turns freely. I don't see any oil/grease buildup around the gasket connections. When I press the a/c activation button nothing happens. I tested for continuity on the dampened cycle switch and it was closed. It has one more switch. An A/c cutout relay on the fender. Could that be bad causing the compressor not to turn on? Or it could just be low on freon? The hoses appear good with no visible cracks and everything is clean. I was hoping at the worst, to just change the drier, expansion valve, gaskets, flush out the hoses, evap and condenser, install new oil, and retrofit fittings and charge it with 134a. If I can even a year out of it. I don't want to do a full replacement since I may not keep the car for more than a year. What can I test to make sure the compressor is still good? Is there a way to test the a/c activation button to see if it works?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support