Who makes exhaust for an 86 Reliant wagon?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Who makes exhaust for an 86 Reliant wagon?

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:48 pm

I was driving my 86 Reliant wagon this weekend trying to get the tailpipe section fixed because it's got a hole in it. I've got the new pre-bent walker extension pipe but when I took it to the exhaust shop they told me they couldn't weld on the exhaust. They said there was too much surface rust on the whole exhaust system. They said they don't clamp only weld. I've been able to find the muffler and possibly the converter if it's right but where can I get a new center pipe? I see some on ebay but I only had a Walker number and they don't show the walker numbers anymore. Mine is without factory resonators so there is two different pipes.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Who makes exhaust for an 86 Reliant wagon?

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Wow :( a fussy muffler shop with an attitude like that its a wonder they still have any business. Any real shop with a bender and some skill can make the pipe for you...I've had full exhaust systems and parts for my old systems made by a few shops weld or clamp these guys don't care its whatever the customer wants. I've got one guy trained in early Mopar exhaust so he gets the tailpipes correct with the small double bend at the end and he trims the tailpipe off at the correct angle... hes a good guy just didn't understand until I showed him in detail what I required. On repairs... another shop did the tailpipe on my old pickup they used a flex disc on a grinder to clean the rust off the the muffler stub once they cut off the remains of my old tailpipe made the pipe expanded the end & welded it in place no muss no fuss. My suggestion is to locate a different shop if you can , I have always avoided the "big name" shops. As an example , One shop is called Economy muffler and brake , The other is Thruway muffler (A.K.A. throwaway muffler) :P These guys are pure motor heads . These places don't look snazzy and sanitary as they actually WORK on cars no excuses ....find a shop like that ....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:01 pm

A good muffler shop with a pipe bender should be able to fabricate one.

Here is a link to AP exhaust systems from which you can obtain a drawing and part numbers for your car.
http://showmetheparts.com/apexhaust/

Here is a link to one of the two intermediate pipes if you have a 2.2 engine w/o a resonator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Tail-Pi ... c3&vxp=mtr
(I think this pipe or equivalent is available also at Auto zone.)

Here is a link to one of the two intermediate pipes (the longer one) if you have a 2.2 engine w/o a resonator. (I have never used this online vendor.)
http://www.autoexhaustworld.com/exhaust-pipe-49045.html

Here is another link to Walker version of the same pipe. (I have never used this online vendor.)
http://www.carpartkings.com/walker-exha ... 45899.html
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 am

Yeah I saw the pipes on EBAY from AP. Mine is the 2.2 without the resonator. I can get that muffler specified for around $20 new. I've got the extension pipe from the muffler to the intermediate pipe. It was like $10. I just need the intermediate pipe but don't know what kind of trouble it's going to be to get it off if I try it myself. Is the converter to manifold bolts going to be a problem? It's got the original converter on it but it now only has 49,000 miles and seems to run good. A little rough idle because of the hole at the extension pipe. My friend said he could cut the rusted extension pipe with hiw sawzall and we can clamp on the new extension pipe I got. Might try it this week.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support