Is headliner removal hard on a wagon?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Is headliner removal hard on a wagon?

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:24 pm

On this 86 Reliant wagon I need to replace or repair the headliner. The fabric is good as is all the interior but the fabric has fallen loose from the headliner board. Should I just re-glue it or get it fully redone? Will I even be able to reglue the original fabric back up without wrinkles? The fabric is not torn anywhere it's just fallen loose. I have the 86 factory Chrysler service manual but it's kinda vague in the removal of the headliner. It says to remove it through the door but not which door and it doesn't have specifics on the wagon. Would it need to be removed from the back door?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Is headliner removal hard on a wagon?

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi
Just removed the headliner on my '82 can't see it being any different on the '86. To remove I removed all of the perimeter garnish moldings , sun visors and dome light... about 3/4 of the way back there is a row of wide plastic "buttons" colour keyed to the headliner these hold the headliner to a roof support in the centre of the button you will see a 1/8" hole inside that hole is a peg that pushes four little arms out to grip the roof support , to remove those, you'll have to push the peg through with a pin punch or a 1/16" rod (finger pressure works) once pushed through you can carefully pry the buttons downward. The only tricky part is in the rear corners where you'll have to push the headliner up and out of the rear quarter panel trim panel on either side of the lift gate opening. The rest of the headliner will probably be on your head by this time, just lower it and pull it out of the car via the lift gate. The pegs can be retrieved from the roof support (PITA), I'll just replace them with a few pieces of 1/8" plastic rod. The fabric was loose on mine as well but I used 3M spray trim adhesive to re attach it once I brushed the debris out from between the headliner support board and the fabric . The trim adhesive is a common product (3M is the brand) I buy it at a local Autobody supply I deal with.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby aussiewoody » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Great advice - thanks for the tips!
aussiewoody

Car Information: '84 LeBaron T&C 'vert, '85 Dodge 600 'vert

Postby tomlct » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Just seeing this now. I had a '91 Acclaim, and I was able to get the headliner out the passenger door and bought a fabric that was close in color & used the 3M spray on adhesive & it worked well.
I still have my '88 Aries Wagon, and I took the headliner out the back, so that part was easier. Otherwise, the technique was the same, used the same 3M spray adhesive. That was at least 10 years ago, and shortly after I did the job, there were a few small sags, because I probably did not spray on enough adhesive. But everything has stayed around the same in all the years. It was kind of a fun repair, seeing how much better it looked after the repair.
tomlct

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries wagon - original owner!

Return to Technical Support