86 Reliant Wagon, headliner board available?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

86 Reliant Wagon, headliner board available?

Postby 1p3bp » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

So I was going to replace the fabric on my 86 Reliant wagon's headliner. When I got it out, it turns to dust everywhere you touch it. Maybe it can be patched in spots to strengthen it enough to recover. But is there any other material I can use to make a new board or will an upohlstery shop be able to make one. This one looks molded to the roof. Oh yeah and I absolutely could not figure out where to unplug the dome lights at. I had to leave them hanging.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: 86 Reliant Wagon, headliner board available?

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi
The headliner is a molded piece but its a kind of hardboard almost like a cheap masonite with the fabric attached...the only source I can think of is a Caravan or a Voyager and cut the liner down to fit your K ....I was lucky in that all I had to do was reattach the fabric.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: 86 Reliant Wagon, headliner board available?

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 am

Luckily my friend who's a mobile mechanic and does a little bit of everything at his work was able to help me rebuild my headliner in my 86 Reliant wagon. It took 2-3 hours with a trip to the store for some headliner fabric that's close enough to work. We reinforced the broken up pieces with sticky duct tape. Then we cleaned the board good of loose foam and sprayed headliner glue on the fabric and headliner board. The hardest part was getting it back in. It took about an hour with the both of us to get it in and all the panels back in. It turned out pretty decent for. It cost $12 for some red fabric, $30 for the glue, $4 for the duct tape, $1 for a pair of fabric shears. So 3 hours and close to $50 I've got a pretty nice looking headliner back in and it looks good. I just hope it holds up to sitting outside. Now I just need to replace the dash speakers, fix the tailpipe, wait on my passenger side mirror, and get it repainted and it will be about as perfect as it can get for what it is. I'm trying to get it to the Mopar night this October at Summit.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support