Need advice on engine degreasing 86 2.2

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Need advice on engine degreasing 86 2.2

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 am

So I really need to clean totally underhood of my 86 Reliant 2.2. It's dingy, dirty, dusty, not really greasy. Just been sitting so long. Now that it's running good I need to start getting it cleaned in time for the show I plan on taking it to. I know I have to be careful on this engine. There's a lot of exposed electronics. The coil is mounted on the fender, the brain box is mounted on the fender, the distributor is mounted right up front but has a cover over it, the plugs are right out in the open, and the filter housing isn't sealed the best. I'm going to have to take it to a car wash right up the street because the house where the car is has no water hose attachment outside. I just don't want to get stuck after washing it good. Is there anything I need to cover really good or spray with WD-40 before washing it? I really need to wash and rinse it good.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Need advice on engine degreasing 86 2.2

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm

If your ignition wires are original or very old you might have misfire issues after you soak it down. Is your throttle body wiring in good shape - sometimes you can get problems if you disturb it and the insulation is damaged. Try to keep water out of the distributor.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: Need advice on engine degreasing 86 2.2

Postby marty mopar » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:15 am

I use a mixture of paint thinner and ATF. Spray it on. let it sit for a few minutes. Use a toothbrush and get the gunk loose. Blast it with water and a good nozzle. Repeat until all the crud is gone. Open distributor and dry out the inside if wet.
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Return to Technical Support