1986 2.2 performance add-ons, any available?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1986 2.2 performance add-ons, any available?

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 am

So I just picked up my 1986 Reliant from the paint shop today and it's a world of difference. Brand new factory black. It looks very nice for what I paid for. The bumper is the only area that didn't turn out too good because it was abused by the sun but for $400 it looks great. So we drove it the longest I've driven it since I got it last year. We drove it 100 miles round trip today to and from a car show. I didn't enter I just drove it there. However, it's really hard to maintain 70mph speed in this thing on the freeway. It also has a fairly rough idle, especially with a/c on. It will do 70-75mph no problem but it seems like it's wounded up by then. The engine only has an original 48,000 miles still. Still haven't hit 49,000. We changed out the whole fuel system, everything on the throttle body, the computer, the pickup-coil, plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor, and air filter. We just used aftermarket replacement parts. I also had the leaking tail pipe fixed. I was wondering is there any gains expected by adding some hotter wires and coil. Something from Accel or Taylor along with the K&N filter? Certainly if any power gains it will not be much but when it's rated at 97hp originally any would help. What about the muffler? The muffler looks horrible. Is there any higher flow muffler available that would bolt up to the stock triangle rubber hanger? What about adding a replacement one from something like an 86 Shelby Charger? Is there any muffler option that would mount or could be made to mount in the factory hanger that doesn't make it sound like an import, just have better flow? It's a huge difference starting my day driving my 99 Dakota R/T then my 98 Ranger 2.5. and then this little 2.2. My Ranger was only rated at 119hp and 146lbs-ft of torque with about 180,000 miles on it and it's so much more different performing. Just what if anything is there to do to this little 2.2 just to make easier to drive and not get run over.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: 1986 2.2 performance add-ons, any available?

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Donovan's Dodge Garage website has some information. Under the FWD section click on EFI database.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:15 am

I checked out the link. There's a lot of good stuff listed but doesn't look like a whole lot to do to the 2.2 EFI motors. One thing I was going to do was add a hotter Accel coil and Accel wires and I noticed the link said it's not worth doing. I'll probably just do Mopar coil, wires, cap, and rotor eventhough I already changed everything with aftermarket replacement parts and it seems to be working fine. The exhaust I know is what makes the biggest difference that's the easiest to get done. No exhaust kit available though for the K cars. I saw one Dynomax part 17488 for the Daytonas that I think I was going to try and make work. I was going to buy the Dynomax Turbo muffler 17741 which is 2.25 inlet and outlet as well as the 41459 tail pipe tip and try and get it installed on my 86 Reliant 2.2. I need a new muffler anyway, it's kinda rough. I checked the Turbo muffler with the tail pipe tip is about the same length and diameter as the replacement muffler for my car. I believe the inlet is offset though and it's centered on the Turbo muffler. Plus the stock replacement muffler has a welded on bracket to bolt to the triangle factory hanger. Maybe I could get it cut off the original and welded to the Turbo muffler. Do you think this could work if I have it installed by a good exhaust shop? I have a pretty good exhaust shop near my house that's been there for a long time. And I'm not expecting miracles in the amount of power just anything to help get up highway speeds a little more easy. Do these cars originally have a pretty noticeable idle when stopped at a redlight or stop sign? It seems like it's going to quit when you stop but over 100 miles in one day and it didn't and it runs great. It was the longest I've driven it and not use to how the car idles and drives. The steering sucks on this car though, it's such a lazy steering system.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:02 pm

I would check with the muffler shop first and see what he thinks as to fit, but I suspect the turbo muffler could be installed without too much of a problem.

Here is a link regarding idle problems.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html

The idle on these cars in not great as compared to newer cars. Sometimes erratic idle problems are due to throttle body issues - dirty throttle body, dirty injector, bad throttle position sensor or AIS motor, map sensor etc. Also, bad EGR valve can give idle problems. I guess you checked and have no fault codes. I think part of the idle issue may be due to the current Ethanol fuel blends are not equivalent to regular gasoline - so the computer model controlling the mixture is not quite right. Also, the earlier 2.2/2.5 TBI engines do not seem to idle as smooth as the later ones. The ones from the mid 90's seem to run the best - I suspect the computer model is just more refined.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Technical Support