1994 chrysler lhs trans

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1994 chrysler lhs trans

Postby tnm4e » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:13 pm

what would cause a 94 chrysler lhs 3.5 liter engine to act like it is shifting down but the car still be in drive

thank you
timothy l jones
tnm4e

Car Information: chrysler lhs 1994

Re: 1994 chrysler lhs trans

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi
I don't have any real experience with the A606(42LE) transmission but its a cousin to the A604 used in the Dynasty and Caravan/Voyaguer Vans and I have quite a bit of experience with that one. What you are describing could be an upshift attempt and fail indicating a bad clutch, there was also a "Bump" shift condition where you had essentially a delayed downshift on deceleration but either way note that both these transmissions are 4 speed Front wheel drive automatics that are all computer controlled. Just the A606 was modified for the LH chassis. If these transmissions start shifting erratically then the first step is to run a scanner on the vehicle via the C2D buss. You need to check for fault codes and the clutch volume index (c.v.i.). This will help determine the condition of the transmission. If a "hard" fault was recognized by the transmission controller the trans may have gone into "limp" mode meaning you only have second gear perhaps this is what you're feeling when the trans is "downshifting" as I've noted at times the trans controller will "clear" when the ignition switch is cycled starting the process over again when you accelerate. Usually with a hard fault the trans will stay in "limp" mode until the code is cleared via the scan tool. Your description is rather vague so I'm guessing...
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Technical Support