Reverse lights.

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Reverse lights.

Postby SavannahEllen97 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:52 pm

My reverse lights just won't work! I've tried everything, I've checked the fuses, tested the wires which caused a fuse to blow. I checked th bulbs and they're fine. All of my other lights work great just not the reverse lights. Also my radio doesn't want to work, any advice?
SavannahEllen97

Car Information: 1989 dodge aries K car

Re: Reverse lights.

Postby Dodgeman64 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Have you checked the neutral/reverse light switch on the transmission? It has 3 wires in a funny shaped plug down low near where the dipstick goes into the transmission. I have had several of those go dead over the years. It could also be the transmission shift linkage is not adjusted correctly. Have someone stand near the rear of your car so they can tell you what is going on back there. Turn the ignition on. You don't need to have the car running. Move the shifter slowly through the gears to see if the lights come on at all. If they blink on for a sec or come on in any gear but reverse, then your linkage needs to be adjusted. If that's not the case, then your switch is probably bad. Get a wiring diagram, so you know which wire to ground out to the engine, and see if they come on then. If they do, bad switch. Hopefully that will help you.
Dodgeman64

Car Information: 1982 Dodge 400 convertible

Return to Technical Support