Is oil pan gasket replacement uneventful on a 86 2.2?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Is oil pan gasket replacement uneventful on a 86 2.2?

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:29 am

I've got a 1986 Plymouth Reliant Wagon SE 2.2 that had 43,000 miles on it when I got it a couple years ago. I've done a lot to it, won a trophy too, but didn't have to do anything major to get it back on the road. It now has about 49,000 miles. I noticed the oil pan front seals are starting to seep. I imagine it's because it sat up for 11 years without being ran and now it's being driven a little more. According to the 1986 factory Chrysler service manual it appears as a simple unbolt and remove job. I don't know if they are portraying it as the engine being out of the car. I was wondering is the front motor mount bracket going to be in the way before I even attempt this job. Anyone ever done this job?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Is oil pan gasket replacement uneventful on a 86 2.2?

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:48 am

Hi Again!
The oil pan reseal is a relatively easy job , the only actual "parts" are the molded rubber end seals the rest is RTV sealant. Amazingly enough I've never done an oil pan reseal with the engine in the car but I had a look and personally I can't see the front mount being a major problem.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Is oil pan gasket replacement uneventful on a 86 2.2?

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 am

I'm sure it was originally rtv and the end seals but I see some of the aftermarket sets coming with side rail gaskets. I may or may not tackle it. It's not bad enough to worry about as little as it gets driven. I had some trouble with that front motor mount getting all the bolt holes lined back up doing the job myself with no help. It also turned out that I did have the insert backwards in the motor mount. I found it out when it shook to death when I started it. I posted that here too and saw the link and checked and saw that I had it installed backwards. It was hard to tell when I took it out which way it went in because there wasn't much rubber left. I just have to replace the transmission mount now. I'll take a look again at the oil pan to see if it's going to be tricky.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support