My plastic side trim won't stay stuck to body

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

My plastic side trim won't stay stuck to body

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 pm

The drivers side factory plastic door molding has fallen off on the front and rear door of my 86 Reliant wagon. I first tried to wipe it with denatured alcohol and just reattach it with 3m red molding tape. I came back the next day it was on the ground. This time I cleaned and scraped the original factory mounting tape off the trim. This was the hardest stuff to get off of both the molding and body. I tried WD-40, adhesive remover, and goof off. Nothing at all helped. The body is the hardest place to get the remaining adhesive off. I got about 98% of it off but there's still some little spots. What will for sure get that remaining adhesive off? I tried remounting these pieces about 3 times now and I can't afford to keep buying the $15 a roll mounting tape. I tried it with Harbor Freight mounting tape too and when it fell off again I added fresh strips plus a spray of headliner glue. Came back this week and they were laying on the ground. Is there any emblem glue that will hold it on outright or do I need to use mounting tape plus glue?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: My plastic side trim won't stay stuck to body

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 am

Hi
The molding tape I've used with great success is 3M # 3615 Super High strength molding tape , its about $7 a roll.
The key to all this is cleanliness of the part and the attaching surface. You can use a sharp putty knife to get the old adhesive off after you soften it with a pre-paint pre-cleaner such as Ditzler/PPG DX330 or if you can get it plain old Lacquer Thinner. I prefere the Lacquer Thinner. Alcohol is useless and the WD-40 is also a waste of time as its neither a lubricant or a penetrant
it was created as a water displacement solvent (Now you know what WD means). All I use it on is locks in the winter.
Anyhow once the surface is free of the old adhesive clean it again with a fresh rag and the pre-cleaner to ensure no oil ,silcone or wax remains on the surface. Clean the back of the molding(s) as well. Apply the tape to the molding first , peel off the backing and attach to car. Hope this helps!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:18 am

I'm not sure if there is a place around here to get the remover as you described. Is it the same as the prep wax and grease remover? I was able to get all of the old adhesive off of the molding as you described but the biggest problem is the leftover adhesive that stayed on the body instead of the molding. It's like it's baked on. Which is possible because I had it painted 2 years ago and I'm sure they didn't remove the molding because it was all original and dirty when it first fell off. They said they baked the paint when they got done spraying the car. Nothing has soften it up at all. That goof off I bought was suppose to be there specific adhesive and decal remover. I can't remember exactly the name they put on it but I remember I bought it because it was specifically for removing adhesive. It didn't do a thing. I was mad because it was like $9 and it was pretty much a waste. I was looking at the 3M plastic and emblem adhesive in the parts store. Do you think that might be stronger than the tape. The molding tape I got was sticking to the molding it just wasn't sticking to the body. I'm trying to sell the car too so I need to get it back on.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi
If that left over adhesive on the body is stubborn Lacquer Thinner would be your best bet as it softens most things , just make sure it doesn't run onto the exposed surfaces. The DX330 I mentioned is a type of wax/grease remover but a bit tougher.
It's what I use prior to doing a full repaint. The molding tape I mentioned is very effective when the surfaces are properly prepped you better be sure about the location of the trim part you wish to attach!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 am

I used the 3615 molding tape right after the first piece fell off. I cleaned the backing a little and the body and just put some of the molding tape on to see if it would hold without any scraping. It did not. I did buy another roll tonight. I also bought some more lacquer thinner. I'm doubtful it will help get that baked on adhesive off the body. Unfortunately I bet the only way to get it 100% off is to sand it off. Since I had it painted 2 years ago and the body still looks ok I'm not going to do that. I need some plastic razor blades to keep the paint from being scratched I used at the detail shop I use to work at. The problem is we had a vendor that brought all that and now that I don't work there I can't find them for sale anywhere. Do I need to get some of the wax grease remover to clean the molding and the paint after the adhesive is off? I don't know anywhere to get the specific number you listed. All the stores even Napa only has Rust Oleum wax and grease remover.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi
The Lacquer thinner should do the job in removing any wax or grease on surfaces to be refinished or hidden as I wouldn't use it on a paint surface that was to remain unmolested. I've also used Dawn dish soap to just remove old wax and "minky" prints (Finger prints etc.) on rewax jobs.... only Dawn seems to work for that.
....I have no idea why you are having so much difficulty , the 3615 tape as far as I'm concerned is the cat's meow .
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 am

I tried it again today. Well at least one piece of it. The shorter piece. I forgot my thinner so I actually used brake cleaner sprayed onto a towel. I got every since bit of old adhesive off the door. I did a final wipe down with alcohol and then did the same to the trim piece. I bought the 3M stuff but I had a little bit of the thinner 3M tape that I used too. I hope the trim piece isn't laying on the ground when I go back over there Friday. I have to clean the long door piece before Friday because it fell off overnight before and it's got dirt and grass stuck to the tape.
1p3bp

Return to Technical Support