Can anyone tell me about the K-car factory amplifier?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Can anyone tell me about the K-car factory amplifier?

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:00 am

I've got the 1986 Plymouth Reliant factory brochure and it shows available radio options as AM Radio, AM/FM radio, and AM/FM Stereo with cassette but all with Four Speakers. In my 86 Chrysler service manual radio and antenna section it shows an in dash amplifier for K & E cars. It shows there was a Chrysler AM/FM radio and Mitsubishi AM/FM Stereo Ultimate Sound. Which one is the Mitsubishi radio? My 86 Reliant SE Wagon came with the RAL code AM/FM/MX/ETR radio and four speakers. I went to have it repaired by a radio shop. It sat for months so I went and checked on it. He gave it back to me in pieces minus the cover and a used later model Chrysler AM/FM cd player with a slow responding cd player. So I don't know if mine was Chrysler or Mitsubishi. I'm assuming mine was the Chrysler unit since I don't have the factory amp. How many K-cars actually came with the factory in dash amplifier? It consisted of the amplifier, control unit, radio choke, and a switch. I've changed the in dash speakers with just some new standard Metra brand speakers because the old ones were crackling. I didn't change the rear but am looking to. Would this Reliant have all the plugs for the factory amplifier or would it be separate dash harnesses? I know Chrysler liked to just make one harness to save money. What other years and cars can I get the factory amplifier from? What does the choke switch do? There is plenty of Reliants in the junkyards I see across the country but how would I know if one has the amplifier without calling about every single car. Is there a way to know by what kinda radio or submodel?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Can anyone tell me about the K-car factory amplifier?

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Again!
I haven't done a lot of research into the radios Chrysler offered but this article on AllPar seems pretty good , there is a link in the lead article to the Ultimate sound system that may answer a few of your questions.....
https://www.allpar.com/stereo/head-units/
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Anyone got 1986 oem number for amplifier control unit?

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 am

I'm least worried about the actual radio now. I would like put in one in my 86 Reliant just like the one that's factory on my 99 R/T Dakota. However, I'm still gathering parts to add the factory amplifier into my Reliant. I looked at an 87 model that was in the junkyard today before I started tearing off my dash cap. It appeared that all the plugs were there for the plug in of the factory amplifier, switch, and control unit. I see there is a radio choke switch available NOS as well as the rear amplifier switch. I luckily found the only original in dash amplifier that I saw and I just had to buy it for under $20 shipped. My biggest problem now is something called the control unit that plugs into next to the amplifier. It looks like a relay. I can't even find a part number for it. Does anyone have an 86 Chrysler parts manual that can get a part number? Or does anyone have a spare one?
1p3bp

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 am

I'm wondering if the amplifier was only available on the Dodge 600. I have a 1986 Plymouth Reliant dealer brochure and it says the highest option radio is the AM/FM Cassette with DNR and four speakers. The other was the AM and then the AM/FM both with four speakers. No mention of the amplifier. Good thing I didn't buy the radio choke, rear speaker switch, and control unit. I would've wasted more money. I just ordered some better aftermarket speakers for the rear. I have 2 new Metra speakers in the dash that can handle 50 Watts probably more than the entire original system. I know the aftermarket head units sometimes have built in amplifiers that would probably match or exceed the factory Ultimate Sound system.
1p3bp

Postby marty mopar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:32 pm

1986 part book

1 SCREW, Radio Att.
5 RADIO, E.T.R. w/Clock
04311001 1 AM (Bright Face)
04311002 1 AM (Black Face)
04311955 1 AM/FM/MX Standard (Bright Face)
04311956 1 AM/FM/MX Standard (Black Face)
04311102 1 Ultimate Sound (Bright Face)
04311686 1 AM/FM/MX Premium,w/Cassette (Bright Face)
04311687 1 AM/FM/MX Premium,w/Cassette (Black Face)
04331529 1 JUMPER, Radio
04222560 1 DIFFUSER, Bulb
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:37 am

Yeah just as I expected the factory rear amplifier only came on the LeBaron, 600, Caravelle, Town & Country, Executive Sedan, and New Yorker. I got my 86 Chrysler wiring diagram manual today and it shows illustrations of the dash plugs and which accessory they are for. I replaced the rear compartment speakers today with some Sound Extreme speakers. Now I need a good head unit. I've got one of the later Chrysler cd player and radio but the cd player doesn't play. Don't the later Chrysler cd head units have built in amplifiers?
1p3bp

Return to Technical Support