Where can I download safely 1986 wiring diagrams?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Where can I download safely 1986 wiring diagrams?

Postby 1p3bp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:26 am

I need some complete wiring diagrams for my 86 Plymouth Reliant. I have the 1986 electrical and the chassis book from Chrysler but the wiring is sporadic and only pertains to specific options. They are also don't show the colors of each wire. I think the wiring diagrams were separate. I'm not sure if my dash harness has the plugs already there for the factory amplifier so if not I want to try and wire it like it is, maybe. I tracked down an original in dash amplifier but I still need the choke switch, the amplifier rear speaker switch, and control unit. I'm assuming that hardly any K car's came with the factory amplifier option as there is hardly any original parts to be found. This is the only amplifier I could find. If the plugs aren't there already then I'll just leave the amplifier in there for the next person to do.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Where can I download safely 1986 wiring diagrams?

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi
I've been all over the Net trying to find just that...a site where I can download wiring diagrams etc. ....so far I haven't found anything free except for some seventies stuff ....lots for sale but nothing to download.
The wiring Diagrams are in a separate manual as the full service set is a three volume set. I had a look at my '85 book and a premium stereo radio diagram is shown but no power amplifier etc. However, my Chrysler Fifth Avenue manual shows the premium speakers with power amplifier , filter choke and dash switch , it all appears to be part of a separate self contained harness connected to the main connector that goes to the back of the radio , the radio has a gray 7 pin plug and a black 7 pin plug , the amp etc. connects to the black plug . Sorry I can't attach a scan of that diagram to this message as the site won't let me......
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:18 am

Yeah I found that out today when I removed my dash pad cover. I couldn't find a wiring diagram but there is one in the 1986 Chrysler electrical manual but it doesn't tell the wire colors. I thought I was so lucky to find the original in dash amplifier and now I found out I can't even install it. I doubt I could ever find the harness to plug it all in. I'm sure there weren't too many K cars that opted for the Ultimate Sound back then being an economy car. I can only imagine out of those few how many are still actually in junkyards in useable condition. They're probably all gone. Good thing I paid less that $20 for it and that I didn't go ahead and buy the other parts. I don't feel like adding handmade wires into it to get it to work anyway. It's too nice of a car to start hacking on the wiring. The best I can probably do is get an aftermarket radio with a built in amp and some new speakers which would probably be better than the original. I did find some extra plugs which I'm curious to know what goes for. Another reason I could use a wiring diagram. I remember there was a 4 pin gray connector near the bottom of the a/x box that only had two actual wires. One of the wires was orange and the other was black I think. Then I saw there was a single orange wire behind the ash tray fire shield which I assume is for the ash tray light since mine wasn't optioned with it. I also saw two individual connectors above the a/c box in the middle that I don't know what could go to. I believe they were blue and violet. Then there was another one taped under where the amp would go that had a two pin angled connector. Don't know what it would go to.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi
I know what you mean when it comes to whats "out there" for usable parts and sound systems seem to be very vulnerable to the type of exposure and weathering from sitting in a wrecking yard. My '82 Aries came with an AM/FM cassette as factory so at least I've got that. In my '85 I installed a Pioneer KP8005 AM/FM cassette that dates back to the eighties which I bought new as the original AM radio passed on. I installed the correct knobs to try to disguise it somewhat.....
With regards to the wiring diagrams perhaps your most economical route would be to purchase a CD Rom from one of the Manual suppliers that are on the 'net. Eg: http://moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/Home ... submit.y=8
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:22 am

I found an original 1986 Chrysler wiring diagram manual on ebay for less than $12 so I ordered it.
1p3bp

Return to Technical Support