Are all the wiper drive link bushings the same?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Are all the wiper drive link bushings the same?

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 am

So I'm replacing my wiper motor under warranty and I need to replace the bushings too. The one that connects both links to the wiper motor arm is the one I need. It seems like it should be longer to fit through both links. I looked up on the Chrysler parts catalog and there is different part numbers for all the bushings. I just replace these plus the motor probably two years ago. The motor siezed up and the bushing cracked.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Are all the wiper drive link bushings the same?

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Hi
Rock auto has the bushings supplied by Dorman.....
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodg ... hing,10717
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 am

Yeah I know that Rockauto has them but I'm trying to figure out if they are all different. I need the one that the wiper motor crank and both crank links connect to. Almost seems like it should be longer than the standard one used at the wiper pivots.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi
Those are the only two bushings you need , the larger bushing goes on the drive pin first followed by the secondary link that snaps on to the end of the drive pin...that's where the small bushing is used. The small bushing is also used at each of the wiper blade pivots.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1p3bp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 am

I bought the assortment pack of wiper bushings which only had 2 closed Chrysler wiper bushings in it. We had a lot of trouble getting everything assembled today and then I realized I didn't have the noise suppressor or the nuts for the wiper motor. So the bushing with the hole in it goes on the driver side link and it goes on the wiper motor crank, then the closed bushings go at the wiper pivots and the passenger side link to crank end. Well one of the bushings we used seemed too small to fit in the drive link end to crank arm. My friend got it on but I suspect it will come off. The manual doesn't really go into detail about the bushings because I believe they came with new drive links.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi
I used three closed end bushings (and these have been the same since the seventies as my Gran Fury uses the exact ones) , the larger straight through bushing just popped on to the wiper motor drive bell crank , the smaller bushings just popped on too ...I think I was done assembly in about 15 minutes once I had everything cleaned up and the bushings installed in the links.
(Incidentally I took everything apart in my Reliant a short while ago as the squeaking during operation was making me crazy!) . I bought a few of the small closed end bushings from Chrysler about twenty years ago ...Dorman seems to be the only supplier now and they are identical. If you think you had trouble with this setup you should try the 70's "C" body arrangement with the variable speed wiper and the offset parking cam/spring assembly ....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 am

Well I got the Motormite help back that only had 2 closed bushings in it. One of them was loose in the drive links. I will have to order some more because my wiper still doesn't work so I took it all out again today. I was stumped because even with the new motor I was getting power everywhere I should be getting power but nothing was happening. Then I was going to test again for power at the connector and I clipped the test light onto the brass ground strap and the motor fired up. I took off the wiper motor to look at it and noticed the ground strap was split in half so not making contact. There was no ground. I soldered one together on my 65 Valiant to get it working but it was kinda hard. Is there an easier way to make a new ground strap for this wiper? Can you just make a ground strap out of some 16 gauge wire and to eyelet connectors and connect them from stud to stud? Would I need to remove the broken ground strap?
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi
I can't see anything wrong with making a ground strap and attaching it to the motor base plate and ground ....make it neat for aesthetics. Personally I would make a new ground strap out of some brass shim stock to duplicate the look exactly which would mean drilling out the rivet on the motor base plate and reattaching the the new ground strap etc. But that's what I do.
If you go with a ground wire I would use a slightly heavier gauge than 16 ....I'd go with at least a 14 AWG.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 am

So do I need to mount the custom made ground wire under the grommet bushing and then bolt the other end on the bracket to wiper motor bolts on the back? I'm hoping that won't pinch the wire unless I drill out the rivet and run it through there. Well doing a new brass strap would be more original but I'm just trying to get it working. I ordered some new bushings again. According to the Chrysler service guide it appears that they want you to assemble the links onto the motor and put the whole thing in as a unit. But I think we tried that and it wasn't possible. Should you have to use anything to press the bushings in? My friend said you have to use some channel lock pliers.
1p3bp

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi
You don't have to go under the mounting grommet with the ground wire, just make a "jumper " ground strap with a large ring terminal end for the mounting bolt and a small ring terminal end for the rivet , drill out the rivet & sand the surface so you have good contact and use a self tapping screw or equivalent to mount the small ring terminal to the motor base plate. For the large ring terminal clean the mounting stud & nut to get good contact and bolt 'er on....
With regard to the bushings , yes you sometimes need to use a "c" clamp or a plier....I lubed mine with some lubriplate first prior to re-assembly as there is no way they were gonna squeak again and yes the the whole assembly can be removed and installed assembled , motor, links , pivots etc. Not sure how to describe how to do it, but position the links as attached to the motor at the opening in the cowl like an inverted "y" long link to drivers side, short link to pass side and then move the assembly down in the opening to the drivers side , then turn the whole motor assembly in order to "shorten" the passenger link back towards the motor , the link and pivot should drop into the opening. Then seat the motor , pull the pivots up into position and screw in place. If the motor drive link turns while you're maneuvering the links etc. it should find its place once you run the motor and make sure it parks in a consistent manner prior to installing the wiper arms, I mark the wiper "turrets" with a paint pen line which must return to the same spot on consecutive runs. I hope that helps....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Next

Return to Technical Support