Are all the wiper drive link bushings the same?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Re: Are all the wiper drive link bushings the same?

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

I've assembled the links and wiper motor with the new bushings. I also put some grease in the bushings. Now when I install it I'm going to try and do it assembled. But the next question is before I put on the wiper arms how can I make sure they pivots will be parked? Do I just run the wipers without the arms for awhile and then turn the switch off and it should be in park? I swapped out the motor under warranty so don't know if it's in park already. We did get it to run a few seconds when we had assembled last week but were still trying to find out why it wasn't coming on so I'm not sure if it got out of the park position.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 am

Hi
Please re-read the last part of my previous message where I use a paint pen to draw a line across the top of the wiper arm "turrets" (wiper arms removed) to ensure they return to the "parked" position reliably prior to installing the wiper arms. The motor should find its way once you run it.....
There are a lot of things I just do automatically when I assemble a car ....regrettably I'm not that good at describing how I do stuff.
If you want a real headache when it comes to wiper systems you should try setting up a '61 Chrysler with the variable speed wipers and the vacuum operated co-ordinated wiper wash system...loads of fun!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby 1p3bp » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:43 pm

I was able to get the wiper motor and linkages together. Appears I had the links on the wrong side. There was only one of the links that had a marking L or R on it so at first I had them backwards. However, I still couldn't get the whole system in with the links and pivots hooked up. I installed the pivots and links first and pushed it all onto the motor crank. It didn't feel very positive on the back link so I'm not sure if it's all the way on. But I tried it and it did work better than before. Now I have to figure out where my windshield washer fluid is going. I filled it up last time and it's all drained out. I hope it is not cracked because it looks good. Any ideas on the hose size? I had trouble finding it that small.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Postby Kwagon2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi
Sorry for my absence .... The washer bottles are turning into a problem as with age they become brittle and no replacements are out there ....maybe NOS but I have to follow that trail yet .....just don't squeeze the bottle like I did when closing the lid....got it fixed though with a hot glue gun, putting the pieces together and then closing with a full layer.... bottles changed design in '85 and again in '86-'89. I think yours is the long narrow type off closest to the passenger side of the cowl . Inspect the back of it closest to the windshield look for small hair line cracks.
The washer hoses shouldn't be a problem...the large hose from the pump to the tee is 1/8" I.D. and can be replaced with emission/vacuum hose ...the thin wall stuff up to the wipers from the tee is around 3/32" I.D. and is usually an Auto parts store standard item...I've never had a problem getting it. Napa, Pep boys or Auto Zone should be able to source the stuff ....Dorman used to make full kits which were car model specific.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Previous

Return to Technical Support