Anything that will help performance of my 2.2 without Turbo?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Anything that will help performance of my 2.2 without Turbo?

Postby 1p3bp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 am

I know this is probably a laughable topic asking if I can get more power out of my naturally aspirated 2.2 in my 86 Reliant Wagon. But it's not to be cool it's more for driving ease. It runs great partly due to the original 49,000 miles it has. A full redo of the entire fuel system from fuel tank to throttle body probably didn't hurt either. I did a tune-up when I got it consisting or the brass insert cap, rotor, igniter, Champion plugs, Accel Super Stock coil, Accel direct fit wires, and an oem fit K&N air filter. Timing was right on at 12 degrees. Throttle body was rebuilt using new gaskets, all new sensors, Mopar injector, sensors, fuel hoses, fuel filter, fuel pump, sending unit, fuel tank. I was wondering if there is anything I could get done to the exhaust system that would give it a little more throttle response to help getting up to expressway speed quicker. However, limited, I do occasionally get on the expressway with it briefly. That's where it lacks. I got a hard time getting up to the 60-70MPH to get moving along with the expressway traffic. I don't attribute it to being some kind of mechanical failure. However, when we get going it pulls good. We had the speedometer all the way to 85MPH and it was surprisingly smooth. Just need a little more help to get up to speed. I realize only having that 1 injector it's hard to do much. Even though I put in a remanufactured engine computer for piece of mind there's nothing you can do to this computer since it's not programmable like today's vehicles. Is there a high flow muffler that anyone makes that would bolt up to the factory triangle hanger and not sound annoying? Like maybe one from a Daytona. Does playing with the timing offer any help? Any suggestions on timing or leave it? What about having a throttle body bored?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Anything that will help performance of my 2.2 without Tu

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi
I could talk for hours on this and bore you to tears ..... at this stage of the game my suggestion is to give the guys at Forward Motion a call http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/about.htm
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Anything that will help performance of my 2.2 without Tu

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:44 am

Yeah I knew it's going to take a lot to make any significant improvement in power on a little 2.2. I know I can get a bigger bore throttle body done for $150 but don't know if it would help any throttle response. This car runs good especially being 49,000 miles I just don't like the fairly aggressive idle. Which I've heard was a characteristic of the 2.2 TBIs. I did read a lot of the issues was the intake manifold design. Kinda like my 98 2.5 Ranger, it has a noticeable choppy idle even when it was new and no matter what kind of bolt on power upgrade it didn't make much of a difference. I'm hoping someone will give me what I want for it before I go diving into performance jobs on this Reliant. I'm thinking about going to get an 86 Daytona Turbo Z that is all there for $250 if I get rid of this Reliant.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support