Instrument Cluster Oil Symbol in middle, but no bulb

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

Instrument Cluster Oil Symbol in middle, but no bulb

Postby 1p3bp » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:09 am

I was fixing the sliding over Oil and Turn signal film on my instrument cluster today. When I had it out I noticed in the middle where the Power Loss Light is above it was an Oil Can Symbol but no bulb or socket on the back. What was that for?
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Re: Instrument Cluster Oil Symbol in middle, but no bulb

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi
I dug up my spare '85 instrument cluster and low and behold it was there!! The other two are Door ajar and Gate ajar (with fuel injected cars the third is the "power loss" light) which is why I never gave it any thought .... but now considering that this spare cluster came from a carbureted car (in '85 both were available), the only thing I can figure is perhaps the "oil light " was activated with the Fleet/Police/Taxi package as with those an actual oil gauge was installed in the cluster (try to find one now!!). I'm not sure if the oil gauge came with the Certified 125mph speedo or not , but generally Chrysler offered them together as was the case with my Gran Fury.
A gauge package was also offered for the early K cars (81-'83) as well ....I'm still looking .....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Instrument Cluster Oil Symbol in middle, but no bulb

Postby 1p3bp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 am

Yeah I see the Liftgate Ajar and Power Loss symbol and they work correct. Above those is an oil symbol. There's nothing in the 86 Chrysler manual about it. I figured it would be on fleet or police package cars. I saw they had a part number for the 125MPH certified speedometer. That would be cool. I don't think you could ever find one. I put one from a 73 Coronet Georgia State Patrol car in my 73 Charger. We've had his Reliant pegged at 85 and it still felt pretty confident. I guess the 49,000 miles helps.
1p3bp

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE Wagon

Return to Technical Support