1986 Lebaron fuel tank

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1986 Lebaron fuel tank

Postby mona's k » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 am

Have the opportunity to by an '86 Lebaron convertible 2.2 turbo. Basically for a "make offer price" which is going to be $500.00. Was going to by it for a parts car but wrong engine compared to my car and too many different parts between '82 and '86.

Car is well worn and on the outside and inside but owner has put money into it mechanically. Now the fuel tank leaks and the owner is tired of the nickle and dime repairs and this pushed it to the limit.

New tanks are available for around $100.00, but how hard to put in with lifting it as high as a floor jack and jack stands will go?
mona's k

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible

Re: 1986 Lebaron fuel tank

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi
I've done a few of these on a hoist but I would think a set of drive on ramps would be better ....just back the car up the ramps and then block the front wheels. That gives you the whole rear area open to work....just a thought.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: 1986 Lebaron fuel tank

Postby Artie K Car » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:00 am

Hi mona's k,
I have an 88 Reliant, and among the "fun" things I've had to replace was the fuel tank. Yes it can be done with a floor jack and jack stands BUT the main thing you - or whoever will do the work - to watch out for is the rollover valve located at the top of the tank ( if your vehicle has the same tank as the Reliant ). I caution you about this because those valves are NOT available anywhere, so you just need to be very careful when removing the valve; don't try to separate the grommet from the valve.
Artie K Car

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant America Sedan 1988

Return to Technical Support