CV Shaft

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

CV Shaft

Postby markyb86 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Does anyone have detailed scans or information on changing the CV shaft on a 1994 lebaron? I have looked around the internet, and have even just tried to tackle it without help but I cant get any farther then just getting the thing loose, cant figure out the next step.
What has been happening is a grinding, vibrating, flat tire sound and feel when driving/turning. Read that because the boot is torn the shaft is toast. I sprayed as assload of wd40 into the boot and drove like new again so I know its the shaft. Just gotta get this thing out and get a fresh one.

Thanks
Mark Bassett
markyb86

Car Information: 1994 Chrysler LeBaron GTC

Re: CV Shaft

Postby Hemi-Dude » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:08 pm

markyb86 wrote:Does anyone have detailed scans or information on changing the CV shaft on a 1994 lebaron? I have looked around the internet, and have even just tried to tackle it without help but I cant get any farther then just getting the thing loose, cant figure out the next step.
What has been happening is a grinding, vibrating, flat tire sound and feel when driving/turning. Read that because the boot is torn the shaft is toast. I sprayed as assload of wd40 into the boot and drove like new again so I know its the shaft. Just gotta get this thing out and get a fresh one.

Thanks
Mark Bassett

OK, give me a little info as to left or right side, and where you are at right now.
I'll walk you through it. Fast Undercar and many other suppliers have new, not rebuilt, shafts available. Do you have ABS?
I figure it's an automatic, right?
Hemi-Dude

Postby markyb86 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm

It's the left side, auto, and I've put it back together but only as far as I can get is, take off the wheel, remove the cotter pin and little shield piece, remove the big nut, and I am able to wiggle the shaft sticking through the hub, thats all I can do. And I think I have ABS, if it was an option in 94 I've got it ha
markyb86

Car Information: 1994 Chrysler LeBaron GTC

Postby Hemi-Dude » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:44 am

markyb86 wrote:It's the left side, auto, and I've put it back together but only as far as I can get is, take off the wheel, remove the cotter pin and little shield piece, remove the big nut, and I am able to wiggle the shaft sticking through the hub, that's all I can do. And I think I have ABS, if it was an option in 94 I've got it ha

OK, if you are game, here goes...after doing what you did above...
Before pulling the drive axle out of the transaxle, you need an oil drain pan under the trans below where the shaft will come out.
In order to remove the drive axle shaft, you have to undo and remove the bolt & nut at the lower ball joint.
You also need to disconnect the sway bar on both sides of the car at the control arms, 2 bolts and retaining bracket on each side. Then just rotate the sway bar downward a little.
This frees the control arm to pivot downward, with a pry-bar, to disconnect from the ball joint.
It helps a lot to also disconnect the outer tie-rod end. If you don't have the tool to safely separate the tie rod end from the hub arm, you can avoid this step but it makes it much harder to get the outer CV separated from the hub bearing as you have to force the entire strut and hub out and rearward a good amount to get the CV splined shaft past the hub bearing. (it gets a little rough to explain as well)
Once that is done, you can now pull the entire hub and strut assembly outward toward you to extract the outer CV housing from the bearing it protrudes through. Grab the rotor for leverage.
While holding the afore mentioned parts out of the way, pull the shaft out of the trans. A little transmission oil will come out, but not much.
With the shaft out of the car, compare it to the one you have bought OR if you have to, take it to the parts house for comparison to what you will be purchasing.
Installation is the reverse of the removal process. It takes some effort to do this yourself, but you will have the satisfaction of having done it in the end.
Contact me if you need further explanation.
Hemi-Dude

Return to Technical Support