1986 Lebaron----timing belt time?

Go here if you can't find the answers to your car's problems

Moderator: 89ARIES

1986 Lebaron----timing belt time?

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:02 am

Hello..

I have a 1986 LeBaron 2.5 TBI with 88,000 miles.

I have had just about everything on it replaced, yet, it still has no power and my fuel economy has gone from 29 mpg to 21 mpg.

Been to a Chrysler dealership "4" times. They replaced a heap of sensors and wire harnesses, fuel filter, pcv valve, rotor, distr. cap, wires, plugs,...$$$$$$$$..still runs like shit.

Took it to a different mechanic, he had it a week, drove it everywhere, did every diagnostic check on it he could think of, everything showed up within specs.

NO CODES detected!!!

So I'm thinking......hmmmm..maybe the muffler is stopped up??? So I took it to a different shop, they ran a back presure test on exhaust, and everything came back A-okay!

The older gentleman that was testing it, took it for a test drive so he could see what it was I was yakking about.
He came back, did something under the hood, and took off in it again. He came back, handed me the keys, and told me to drive it and see if I can tell a difference.

Off I went, I could tell it was running better and a little bit more pick-up...although no Blue Ribbon! :mrgreen:

I got back to the shop, and I told the guy and manager i could tel a difference. they both told me the timing belt was probably "worn" and was stretching, and trying its darnest to compensate the best it could. he had advanced the timing up a bit, but said if belt is wore it will slowly or all at once time itself back down, and start running like uhhhhh..."crap"!!

Does this sound right to you all? It probably needs a new timing belt, as I have never replaced it the year I have owned it, and the little ole lady I bought it from I'm sure never even thought of replacing it.

Any comments will be appreciated!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Re: 1986 Lebaron----timing belt time?

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am

Sounds similar to a problem I had with my Aries 2.5 when I bought it. You have the problem properly diagnosed in my opinion because it is what I did and now she drives like a dream! Best of luck.

Will
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:58 am

Thanks Dodge1970 for the encouragement, I took it in at 8 this morning, they said it would be done by the time I got off work, and after work I went by to pick up and they weren't done with it!! :cry:

now I am starting to "sweat'!!

He said to give him till saturday morning!!

Which is great and I don't mind, but now i have to figure out how to get back down to the shop??? :mrgreen:

I guess I can start walking!!!

I sure hope this takes care of it!!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:12 am

I could do that belt in 2 hrs easy. A word of caution it's easy to get it off a tooth. This site should help, send it to the shop doing the work....http://www.thedodgegarage.com/
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks for the link!

Well I got it back this afternoon, started it up, instantly noticed it seemed to run smoother, and a bit quieter.

Got it out on the highway, cruised on up to 70 mph, but it still acts like it is being hindered ever so slightly!!!

Hard to explain!!!

Driving down the highway, it acts like it all of a sudden, its not firing exactly right or ???

This happens for a second or 2 then its back to business as usual!

Also, it does seem to have a bit more pick-up from say merging onto a highway than before, you still have to smash the pedal to the floor.

I don't expect to out run a Porshe or anything, it just acts like something is just not right????

Easy to start, Idles smooth, quiet, no ratling from the engine, no smoke, no run-on when turning it off, never has stalled.

And I love the car!!

There has got be something causing the performance and fuel economy problem that I and several mechainics are over-looking!!! :?:
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 am

Sounds like a bad TPS to me, did you check fuel pres. ? Try disconnecting batt grd overnight to clear the computer. Then drive a couple of days so the computer can readjust itself.
Butch
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 am

The TPS was the first thing I replaced last July, it and the harness!!

Fuel Pressure has not been checked, or at least I am not aware if one or more of the mechanics have checked it. They just keep it for a week, and then tell me they have checked "everything" out, and everything is working properly!!!
Then I get in the car, and drive it a block and I am back to square one!!!

I will disconnect the battery cable and clear everything, and see what happens!!

Thanks everyone for your input!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Throwing code 23.

Hard to believe it is a throttle temperature sensor causing this problem??? Hmmmmmmm
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Well last tuesday, I took the car in to get tested for emissions to get my new tags. I figured since it is running so crappy, it won't pass, but maybe it would help point me in the right direction of what is wrong!

They guy at the emissions testing station told me, that NEW cars don't have the LOW numbers mine has???? It passed with flying colors :shock:

So 2 days later, I get in it to come home, and seems to be running a bit like it wants to shut down, and 2 miles down the road as I am turning into Home Depot is kinda just stalls. It has NEVER done this before. It starts right back up, and I proceed into the parking lot.

I pop the hood to see if maybe something is loose. "nothing".....

I get home and it is driving about as bad as it ever has.....pulling into the driveway, it almost stalls again but doesn't!!

Check codes........it is throwing a code 23 which is throttle body temp. sensor.?? I don't think this is causing the problem as the throtle temp sensor is for Hot Re-starts???

I am about ready to have a BIG BONFIRE!! :evil:

I am taking it in here in a few minutes!!!!
I'll keep ya posted!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Butch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:39 am

Try cleaner the T/body with T/body cleaner ONLY. A dirty T/body will lower idle speed. Was the timing reset to specs after the timing belt was changed ?
Butch
Car Fan

Next

Return to Technical Support