FS: 1988 Plymouth Reliant K sedan

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

FS: 1988 Plymouth Reliant K sedan

Postby Dodge Aries K » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Up for sale is my 1988 Plymouth Reliant LE Sedan. It has a 2.2L fuel injected engine and a 3 speed automatic transmission. Right around 116,000 miles on it which is pretty low for the year. The car runs and drives really well. I put in a bunch of new parts... Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, air filter, throttle body gasket, vacuum lines, oxygen sensor, throttle position sensor, rear shocks, new front and rear speakers, hard to find bucket seats instead of the uncomfortable bench seat, luxury steering wheel instead of the base wheel, accessory belts, and I recently changed the oil too. It was our family car for a while so I wanted to make sure it didn't have any issues for us to use it. The tires are still in decent shape too. Suspension and steering are good. Inside is pretty clean besides the drooping headliner fabric. It drives nice on the highway and gets very reasonable gas mileage like upper 20's around town and lower 30's on the highway.

Issues with the car are the a/c does NOT work which is why I parked it when it got warm outside since I get horrible heat sickness. Since it's been sitting for a few months now the brakes are a bit rusty but that'll clear up on it's own with some driving. Also, the rear driver side window regulator is messed up so the window just stays up. There IS a 89 Aries at LKQ I believe so a used good regulator can be had from there for like $20 or so. It has some rust on the rockers and so forth... it is old... but overall it's in pretty damn good shape for it's age.

Like I said, the car runs awesome. I was just going to use it for a cool/cold weather vehicle since I didn't want to bother with figuring out what's wrong with the air conditioner. However, because of the bad storm we had a few days ago my Grand Caravan C/V and Camry got crushed by a tree and it's not covered under my insurance so I'm selling pretty much everything I can to help fund getting them fixed since I also lost my income. Not too many good times around these parts. Anyway, I'm looking for $1000 out of the car which I feel isn't bad at all for something that you can just get in and drive to wherever you want to go. Thing is very comfortable too with those bucket seats which are also an extremely hard to find upgrade for these. Please call or text me at 815-980-eight nine six zero. Thanks for your time!

Here's what happened... stupid storm...
Dodge Aries K

Re: FS: 1988 Plymouth Reliant K sedan

Postby Dodge Aries K » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:04 am

Sold!
Dodge Aries K

Postby capev86 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 pm

it's after the fact, but i would say ditch the late model money drains (car payments, full insurance, registration costs, etc) and keep that old K car old if all it needs is the a/c fixed. it just makes more financial sense in light of what has happened. expensive car repairs are not something you want to get into when there is no income!

my latest daily driver is a 240,000 mile, beat up and rusty, 4 cylinder 97 Camry and yet the local Uncle Sam (Maine) rakes me over the coals because registration is based on new car value. then there is title swap the first year. I could drive a million dollar Duesenberg for cheaper where the taxes are concerned (well, after the sales tax is paid)! I can't wait to get my K wagon back on the road and get away from running modern cars.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby Dodge Aries K » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 am

I loved the hell out of my Camry and can't wait to get one again, to be honest. Best damn car I have EVER had.

My 2003 Kia has been my daily transportation and has been a great car as has my 99 Voyager work van. Having stuff that's a bit newer is nice sometimes especially since taxes aren't based off that stuff in Illinois unless if it's a LOT newer and that's a one time thing. We just get raped 99 a year for plates here.
Dodge Aries K

Postby capev86 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 am

1972 Chevy Suburban C20 v8 : $54 a year
1987 Dodge Ram 50 I-4: $55

1986 Aries Wagon I-4: $60

1997 Merc Sable wagon v6: $115
1997 Toyota Camry I-4: $120

a smaller 4 cylinder car costs more to register than a big v6 car of the same year?...that doesn't add up. the Camry is a good vehicle but i wouldn't call it amazing (it has needed a fair bit of work the last few years). the big ugly auto shifter on the floor is a perfect exercise in how to waste space. the car seriously needs a stick shift. it is zippy, but so was my K wagon with the 2.5. once the K car is back on the road, the Camry will be relegated to mostly just playing in the snow (i.e. salt sucker). i wouldn't be against owning another one (aside from the cost) but running old Mopar fwd's is more my style. also, as i've found with my Ram 50 (Mitsubishi in disguise) parts for imports are more expensive.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to Buy and sell a Classic K-car