1988 Plymouth Reliant - Great Father/Son project car

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1988 Plymouth Reliant - Great Father/Son project car

Postby 88Reliant1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:31 am

I have a 1988 Plymouth Reliant, 2.2L, Automatic , 46,242 miles showing on the odometer, that I need to sell. Daily driver up until about a year ago. Typical knock that these cars had after about 40 - 50k miles, (metalurgy problem with the connecting rod wrist pins and the pistons), turned to a real knock that is most likely main bearing related. The car itself is in great shape. The paint has started to peel some on the roof in the last 12mos or so, revealing the factory primer. The interior is almost perfect. Burgundy velour- looking factory fabric looks brand new. I replaced the headliner when I bought it. The dash has started to crack where the speakers go. The body is straight with just the paint issue. (I was told that Chrysler was experimenting with the paint that year but it did pretty good until recently.) New windshield and recently resealed rear windshield.The pictures say it all. This little car has been great and it's in far too good of shape to let it go to the scrap yard. The ride was wonderful, gas milage/power good, four doors made it easy getting my kids in and out and unmatched trunk space. I'm pretty sure I'm the third owner and I would still be driving it if the knock had not started. I'm a single Dad and I just don't have the time to rebuild this engine,too many irons in the fire right now. For 24 years old she's in great shape. Its been a good car and deserves someone that will put her back right again. As I said before this would be a great Father/Son project or a novices first easy restoration. At any rate I need to move it. I plan on keeping it on this site for 1 maybe 2 weeks then off it goes to the salvage yard which has made a very decent offer. I would rather see someone who really likes this kind of car get it than see it cut up for metal but it has to be gone soon. $600 or best reasonable offer. Thanks, -Mark-
88Reliant1

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant

Re: 1988 Plymouth Reliant - Great Father/Son project car

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 am

Hello Mark,

Why get rid of it? I hear the knocking sound is normal. I have had mine for over 150,000 miles, and the car still runs great. The sound is "normal" in most cases. Got 206,000 and still
going strong at good compression. Can you send us some pics?

Sincerely,
Guy
CKCC President
818-219-2587
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88Reliant1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 am

I know exactly the noise you're talking about and it made that noise the whole time I owned it. This noise is definately a bearing - most likely a thrust bearing, (if this engine design actually has one).I'm a former tech and this is a noise I've heard many times in my career. I would keep this one and put it back on the road but like I said, single dad with two kids, a car habit just isn't in the cards right now. Not a big deal as long as someone gets to fix her and keep her out of the junk yard. I have a complete series of pics - ft,back,sides, under the hood, in the trunk, and interior shots but if I even try to upload one the site says the file is too big. I went to "edit" and "browse" and to my pics but I can't seem to get it to work. Am I doing something wrong? If anyone wants to see the pictures of the car I will gladly send them to their E-Mail address.
88Reliant1

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 am

Where is it located?
Dodge Aries K

Postby 88Reliant1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm

The car is in Charlotte,NC. Sorry about the delay in answering. I'm having computer troubles at home and had to use a family members to check the site for activity. Additionally I cannot seem to get the pics to download but anyone interested can call me @ 704-351-0998 and I will send the pics to your phone. Thanks, Mark.
88Reliant1

Postby 88Reliant1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 am

WELL THIS IS IT UNLESS SOMEONE COMES TO THE RESCUE! My '88 Reliant is on its way to the salvage yard tomorrow if someone doesnt speak up for her. I will only clear $400.00 in the end so I will take $400.00 now from someone that wants to fix her up. As of New Years Eve shes a Classic - shame to see her get parted out and sold for scrap metal. Any takers?
88Reliant1

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 am

Thats right folks! Its getting junked tommorrow. Buy it, somebody!

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3520525393.html
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Buy and sell a Classic K-car