battery wont hold a charge

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

battery wont hold a charge

Postby jco1971136 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:26 pm

I have been getting code 15 (no vehicle speed signal - no distance sensor signal detected during road load conditions), since forever, but I was told it really didn't matter, so I just let it be. I started getting an 02 sensor code, (above or below center, I dont remember the exact error), but I read in the manual that it is possible to get an 02 problem code because there is a fuel pressure problem, so I tried to release the pressure using the method in the book, which said you could use 2 wires to relieve any risidual pressure, so I tried it, and it didn't work out so good because now I'm getting codes related to the charging system and the battery wont hold a charge. If I jump it, it runs fine, but if I let it sit overnight it wont start in the morning. The codes I'm getting now are:

#15 - No vehicle speed signal - no distance sensor signal detected during road load conditions (I know whats going on here, as I mentioned above).
#16 - Battery input sense - Battery voltage sense input not detected during engine running.
#46 - Charging system voltage too high - Battery voltage sense above target charging voltage during engine operation.

I'm thinking it's a Voltage Regulator problem, but how do I test that?

Oh, BTW, I started it and then disconnected the battery so I'm pretty sure the alternator is Ok.
jco1971136

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler Reliant

Re: battery wont hold a charge

Postby Kwagon2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi
I wonder who told you not to worry about the lack of speed signal as its most certainly used by the SMEC (Single Module Engine Controller) and should be repaired.
I’m unclear as to why you thought you needed to do a fuel system depressurization for an O2 sensor problem, were you going to set up for a fuel system pressure test ?? O2 sensors do deteriorate and require periodic replacement it could be that simple.
With regards to the rest of it I’d have a real good look at your battery , either its completely discharged or its finished.
The simple fact that you had to boost the car to start it and it won’t seem to hold a charge.
Charge it up separately and then get it load tested .
For full explanations of the fault codes and even troubleshooting and some remedies , I would highly recommend going to The Mini Mopar resources site ! http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/index.html
This man has provided a massive amount of info which should be very helpful! There is no sense in me providing the same info as I couldn’t write it any better!
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: battery wont hold a charge

Postby jco1971136 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi Kwagon2 - Thanks for responding. I don't remember who told me about the Speed sensor, but anyway, this car is real freeky sometimes, or maybe it's me, I'm learning this car repair thing and sometimes I get confused. In the repair manual it states that if your getting an O2 sensor code it could be because theres some "residual" fuel pressure in the fuel system, but there is no code for that, so, instead you'll get an O2 sensor code. That code is no longer showing up. I cleared the error codes by disconnecting the negative battery "and" the positive cable (in the past, I was only disconnecting the negative to clear the codes). I also let the cables stay disconnected for about 10 to 15 minutes thinking I was getting erroneous codes and I think thats what happened.

Ok, moving on. I was jumping it every time it wouldn't start but the other day I got an idea that maybe there was an issue with the fuel injector. For the last 3 days it will start if I press down the gas pedal while its cranking and sure enough it starts every time, LOL. I'll start back tracking the cables from the injector back, but the injector cable does look a bit beat up, and at the beginning of next month I will replace it, "and" the speed/distance sensor. Thank you so much for all the advice and patience, lol.

PS. Should I repost new questions to the board or just append them to this post.

Thanks again Kwagon2
jco1971136

Car Information: 1988 Chrysler Reliant

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car