my 1989 Reliant K is making a mysterious sound

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

my 1989 Reliant K is making a mysterious sound

Postby alixan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm

my car usually drives beautifully, but when i've been on the road for more than a few miles or for more than 10 minutes, it starts to make this strange cooing sound (it sounds like a pigeon) and the "check engine" light goes on soon after that. my mechanic said it was the EGR valve, so he cleaned it and thought that fixed it, but it still happens. has anyone else encountered this problem? is it specific to k cars? anything i should tell my mechanic? ok thank you for reading.
alixan

Car Information: 1989 Reliant K

Re: my 1989 Reliant K is making a mysterious sound

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Check your codes and report back. Check out this link, it will tell you how to check the codes. Scroll down to the Display Your Fault Codes header for the instructions.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/
MyDodgeDip

Postby 88 aries » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:52 pm

three things... there is either air in the system, coolent sensor took a dump, or The headgasket is on its way out.
88 aries

Postby alixan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you very much. I haven't had a chance to check the codes yet, but I will. This is very helpful. I hope it isn't the headgasket because I JUST had that repaired.
alixan

Car Information: 1989 Reliant K

Postby MyDodgeDip » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:37 am

There is no way to even guess at whats wrong with it unless we get the codes. I doubt the head gasket has anything to do with a noise and check engine light.
MyDodgeDip

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car