Help with wiring on '86 Shelby Daytona

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Help with wiring on '86 Shelby Daytona

Postby lugnut » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 am

Hi everyone, first post and frankly I'm an idiot when it comes to the actual mechanics of this stuff, but my old man can do it so I figure I can pretty well translate anything I don't get...

But aaaaanyway, I've got an '86 Daytona C/S Turbo Z I bought back in the '90s that was my pride and joy for several years. To this day it's my favorite car I've ever owned, but it was developing some problems with the turbo (sometimes it would boost, sometimes it wouldn't and would just spin - wastegate problem?) and picked up a grinding noise in the front that sounded like a wheel bearing gone bad, so we replaced it with one from a non-Shelby parts car we had and it didn't fix anything, so either it was something else or the replacement was bad to start with. Either way, the car wound up getting parked out at my folks' house as a result, and I just never had enough money to put into it to get it all back up and right.

Flash forward around 10 years and now rats have eaten just about every single friggin' bit of wiring under the hood. This happened once before, but at that time we were able to rewire everything and get it back running... but I still didn't have the funds to get it back where I wanted it, and the rat problem seemed to be gone, so parked it got once more. Fast forward to now and a couple months ago we lifted the hood and found that not only had the rats returned, they'd eaten all the re-wiring we'd done...and now they'd eaten it so thoroughly that you could no longer tell where 90% of the wires were even supposed to go (and yet strangely in all this time they've never once seemed to have gotten into the cabin of the car). Anyway, at this point it seems like there's not much solution except to have a brand-new wiring harness or an identical car to eyeball. My question is, will just any old K-car 2.2 wiring harness work? Does it have to be a turbo car? Does it need to be another Shelby car?

I'm clueless and my old man's specialty is '60s/70s Mopars, not this stuff, so he's roughly in the same basket when it comes to electronic problems on '80s cars (and turbo problems too, though right now just getting it running again is the most important step). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
lugnut

Car Information: 1986 Shelby Daytona CS Turbo Z

Re: Help with wiring on '86 Shelby Daytona

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm pretty sure it will be turbo specific. At the very least, it will be a block of years specific as there were small changes over the runs. You may have better luck answering this over at the Turbododge.com forums.
MyDodgeDip

Re: Help with wiring on '86 Shelby Daytona

Postby Butch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 am

Post here, ALOT more Shelby guys there.http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/.... Hell, there maybe an SDAC member in your hood.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car