89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Postby inrltd » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

OK so i thought i had a minor problem till i started tuning up everything in the car
i started putting parts on little by little and seems to mess everything up, every leak i fix causes another leak..

1. Brown oil on ground when car sits in driveway overnight..
2.OVERHEATING TO THE MAX goes above the orange line and starts to smoke and 1 time it busted the hose and antifreeze went all over the car
3. losts of rusting on radiator hoses like when the water goes on them and it looks faded cause of anti freeze leak
4. im going to replace all the hoses today and try to bleed it out
5. HELP ME
inrltd

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1989

Re: 89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Postby 88 aries » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Head gasket...
88 aries

Postby inrltd » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm

we ruled out the head gasket.. i drive the car everyday.. it only does this at stop lights i forgot to put that .. and the oil is not milky the head gasket is good.. there is no codes coming from the car

sounds like bubbles in my hoses now that i have replaced them and the oil looks like its coming from the rear main seal on the transmission

1. it has a leak somewhere
2. my radiator might be out ..
3.the bleed out valve was pointless cause all it did was shoot out antifreeze and then the bubbles where still there but if u just run the car with the radiator cap off it does the same thing as the bleeder valve so i dont get the point of that..

im just going to start replacing all the stuff till i get it to stop..
inrltd

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Does the fan turn on? Did you burp the air out of the system when you filled it?
MyDodgeDip

Postby inrltd » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 pm

MyDodgeDip wrote:Does the fan turn on? Did you burp the air out of the system when you filled it?

the fan was broken so i rewired it to turn on when u turn the key.. so its always on ...

and how do i burp it, i think thats the next step... i unscrewed the bleed screw and turned on the car and let it run till it spilled out anti freeze.. then i screwed it back in when all was filled up and no air.. i dont know if i did it right...
inrltd

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am

Try to park it nose up first. Open that bleed screw and fill it with antifreeze. Leave the plug in place but loose until antifreeze seeps out.

Have you confirmed that the fan is always running? Did you look into why it didn't come on in the first place?
MyDodgeDip

Postby inrltd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:09 am

MyDodgeDip wrote:Try to park it nose up first. Open that bleed screw and fill it with antifreeze. Leave the plug in place but loose until antifreeze seeps out.

Have you confirmed that the fan is always running? Did you look into why it didn't come on in the first place?

no i didnt look cause the wires where all bad... so i just rigged it up from the sensor board thingy majiger and the negative cable of the battery...

and the fan runs non stop with the key turned on.. when i turn on key all electrical stuff turns on and u can hear the fan running non stop.. its a direct current...

and i never figured out what caused the fan to stop im just really good with electrical wires and how to get things running ...

i will try the bleed screw again.. tomorrow and then see how it goes...

its definatly not the fan thats making it overheat like crazy... the top hose to the thermostat gets super hot and bubbles within 20 minutes of driving it .. there is a leak somewhere are something minor that i cant see each day im replace something else.. and if the radiator is cracked then im get a new one.. but there is no leak on the radiator so i cant tell yet tell i fix all the other stuff .. also it passes PRESSURE TEST cause my dad is a mechanic and knows alot about cars... so its not like i didnt run tons of tests

i will definatly do what u told me about the bleeding tomorrow and see if that works.. cause when i bled it i left it fully off and it was on ground level.. and just kept pooring anti freeze till i was satisfied there was no air.. ill just do it again your way and be 100% sure it worked lol
inrltd

Postby Baron » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 am

Just because the oil isn't milky doesn't mean the head gasket didn't go. The water could be leaking into the cylinder instead of the oil and getting burned away (I learned that the hard way). Still sounds like a head gasket to me, too. But I'm no mechanic, just an old geezer that's had about everything that can happen on a car .....

happen.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby inrltd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 am

Baron wrote:Just because the oil isn't milky doesn't mean the head gasket didn't go. The water could be leaking into the cylinder instead of the oil and getting burned away (I learned that the hard way). Still sounds like a head gasket to me, too. But I'm no mechanic, just an old geezer that's had about everything that can happen on a car .....

happen.

well i dont use water.. so the antifreeze would be burnning up in the engine then?? wouldnt it leave nasty stuff in the dipstick?//?

and u wouldnt be able to drive the car with a blown head gasket... this car is definatly driveable and will be for the next month even if i dont fix this problem, but i will second look at it ... other thing i think it is maybe the water pump? i never checked it good .. and just dismissed it cause its so hard to get to
inrltd

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

If antifreeze was burning you might not be able to tell and you can certainly drive a car with a bad head gasket. Just trying to rule out everything else first but with all the problems and "Repairs" done to the car, it's going to be impossible.
MyDodgeDip

Next

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car