89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Postby inrltd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Pete in NH wrote:HI,

I just saw your question about the magnetic "stuff" and crack detection on a engine head. That only works as far as I know on a cast iron head. The head on your car is aluminum and non-magnetic, so I don't think it will work. I'm not sure how you detect carcks in an aluminum head.

tried the oil thing about 4 times... still stayed at 60 psi so i was thinking about doing a cylinder leak testing thing where you blow air in it and see where the air comes out or how much pressure u loose.. im not sure if i need to do this now that i know it could be a head gasket or something major wrong with the insides of the engine...

and thanks for letting me know its aluminum, that thought never crossed my mind... appreciate it and i guess like you said i got to decide if its worth it or not to rebuild the whole engine which may be to far gone .. has been running almost everyday for 5 years and has tons of miles on it .. maybe 300k plus 200 k i know for sure in the past 2 years cause ive seen it wrap around at least 2 times..

its a beast car and this is the only major problem i have had with it .. and they all started cause i wanted to start tuning it up and when i started replacing the vacuum lines rubber hoses spark plugs everything that cost little money everything else started breaking apart..

might just look at how much a new engine cost.. thanks for the help
inrltd

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1989

Re: 89 Dodge Aries OVERHEATING

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:02 pm

HI,

Okay, well at 200K plus miles, maybe 300K, with the 60 pound compression reading in the one cylinder, I would be considering a complete rebuild of the engine or another engine. I wouldn't put much time or money into the top end of the engine because with that high milage on the bottom end, bearings and rings are pretty much at the end of they're lives. Maybe a good low milage used engine would be the way to go. If you go for a used engine it would be good to hear it run and if possible do a compression check on it.

Good luck.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Previous

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car