89 dodge aries WONT TURN OFF

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

89 dodge aries WONT TURN OFF

Postby inrltd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:48 am

ok so i am working on the overheating issue with my car which may just be a minor thing in the end... but im sure it will be fixed soon....

problem is MY CAR WONT TURN OFFF!@!## i shut off the key and the car stays running its so wierd.. how all these things are happening when im upgrading all the parts...

it stays running for a long time before it shuts off... and with this overheating issue when it doesnt turn off the gage is going to go high and its going to blow the heads... then ill have a major problem...

anyone know why it wont shut off.. i turn the key off and everything and then if i see it overheating i run and unplugg the coil.. which isnt good and it turns off.. but i know its bad to keep doing that going to need a new distrubitor if i keep it up..

5 years i havnt had a problem with this paticular car and i went car shopping about 2 months ago to get a new one cause my wife wants to sell the aries.. and ever since then the car has hated me ..
inrltd

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1989

Re: 89 dodge aries WONT TURN OFF

Postby Baron » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Your car probably won't turn off because it IS overheating. This can cause carbon deposits- or other hot spots- to stay hot in the cylinder, hot enough to ignite any raw fuel still in the chamber. Check for more information under dieseling. And if I remember correctly, carbon deposits can develop heavier/more quickly if liquid is leaking into the cylinder (ie, blown head gasket) because the gas won't burn cleanly, which then causes carbon deposits to build up. I could be wrong about that, I'm going by memory, but any one of the mechanics on this board can quickly and easily correct me if I'm wrong.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby inrltd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Baron wrote:Your car probably won't turn off because it IS overheating. This can cause carbon deposits- or other hot spots- to stay hot in the cylinder, hot enough to ignite any raw fuel still in the chamber. Check for more information under dieseling. And if I remember correctly, carbon deposits can develop heavier/more quickly if liquid is leaking into the cylinder (ie, blown head gasket) because the gas won't burn cleanly, which then causes carbon deposits to build up. I could be wrong about that, I'm going by memory, but any one of the mechanics on this board can quickly and easily correct me if I'm wrong.

the only problem is my dad has some kind of blue liquid head gasket testing kit that cost like 400 dollars and we tested it twice.. im replacing all the hoses and some look clogged up... i even found some busted lines..

ill check on the car not turning off cause of overheating .. thanks alot for the info.. its given me about 20 more things to check out
inrltd

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:57 am

If it did not shut off because of dieseling, I would not have expected disconnecting the coil to be what shut it off. When it did not shut off how was it running - normally or exceptionally rough and making noises like a cold diesel engine at startup? If it was really dieseling maybe it was just a coincidence that it shut off at the time you disconnected the coil. Maybe you have multiple problems including a wiring problem such as a bad ignition switch.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby inrltd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 am

K-CAR_WAGON wrote:If it did not shut off because of dieseling, I would not have expected disconnecting the coil to be what shut it off. When it did not shut off how was it running - normally or exceptionally rough and making noises like a cold diesel engine at startup? If it was really dieseling maybe it was just a coincidence that it shut off at the time you disconnected the coil. Maybe you have multiple problems including a wiring problem such as a bad ignition switch.

it runs like normal.. i can even shut the key off on the freeway and it will still drive for about 10 minutes smooth.. and then shut off sometimes..
but everytime i disconnect the coil it shuts off right away...

im a pro at wiring so im check everything and find the problem hopefully it is electrical
inrltd

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi,

I didn't think the newer fuel injected engines would diesel like the older carb. engines would. The older engines were quite prone to dieseling if not set up right. I would think with the fuel injection shut off the fuel supply would also be turned off. This sounds more like an electrical issue like a bad ignition switch, shorted wiring or something like that. If the engine is truely dieseling it runs very rough. If it's running like it would normally it sounds like it is still powered up electrical wise.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby inrltd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Pete in NH wrote:Hi,

I didn't think the newer fuel injected engines would diesel like the older carb. engines would. The older engines were quite prone to dieseling if not set up right. I would think with the fuel injection shut off the fuel supply would also be turned off. This sounds more like an electrical issue like a bad ignition switch, shorted wiring or something like that. If the engine is truely dieseling it runs very rough. If it's running like it would normally it sounds like it is still powered up electrical wise.

yes we are doing some tests and seems like the ingnition switch is gone .. cause sometimes it dont even start and i got to move the key back and forth ..

thanks i think i will just buy a new ignition switch
inrltd

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car