89 dodge aries calipers same as 91 plymouth sundance.

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

89 dodge aries calipers same as 91 plymouth sundance.

Postby inrltd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm

ok so i got this car.. and my 13 tires dont fit around the huge caliper that is on the 91 sundance...

the 89 dodge aries has a slim awesome caliper with small brake pads while the 91sundance has a huge caliper like a truck with huge break pads.. i dont want 14s on this car.. so i was wondering how i can tell if i can switch calipers ..

looks like the exact same car and parts.. struts shocks rotor all look the same .. like its interchangeable .. so now i just need to know how to confirm this?
inrltd

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1989

Re: 89 dodge aries calipers same as 91 plymouth sundance.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Not sure. But I would not recommend switching even if it was interchangeable. The heavier brakes on the 91 are probably superior, and 13 tires are no longer commonly available. In addition, smaller tires will reduce MPG and give you a speedometer error.

Various brake options were available on both cars. Make some measurement as to the disk size, find out which style calipher you have, take a couple of photos. After you identify exactly what you have on the two cars that you want to swap, post a question on the Turbo Mopar forum. Lots of people have upgraded their brakes, so someone can probably tell you if you can go in the reverse direction and how much you need to change.

Here is some information on various brake options.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/perf/brakes.html

It might be a problem. 1991 was a changeover year. For the Sundance 89-90 was a first design and 91 up was different with regard to the calipher, calipher mounting bracket and, I think, the hubs. I think the later series used a thicker calipher which was less susceptible to warping. I am not sure if the geometry would be correct if you try to mount the Aries 89 parts. If both were 89 it would probably work, even though it is not recommended it go to the smaller sizes.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 88 aries » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm

you do realize that a Sundance is heavier than a K-car right? sundances only come with a 14 inch wheel, I think its retarded to switch everything just for 13 inch tires...
88 aries

Postby inrltd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 am

your right... im just going to get all 14s.. i love the little 13s, but then again .. im glad i talk to people like you, im just keep the original 14s that where on it..
inrltd

Postby capev86 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 am

first off, the 9-1/"2 brake rotor is barely adequate on a K car. the 10-1/4" rotor is ok on a daily driver and is standard on your Shadow, but i'm going with Spirit R/T 4 wheel 11" vented disc on my 86 Aries wagon because there is no such thing as too much braking. yes it will require 15" wheels, but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby inrltd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 am

capev86 wrote:first off, the 9-1/"2 brake rotor is barely adequate on a K car. the 10-1/4" rotor is ok on a daily driver and is standard on your Shadow, but i'm going with Spirit R/T 4 wheel 11" vented disc on my 86 Aries wagon because there is no such thing as too much braking. yes it will require 15" wheels, but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

ye im just going with the 14s.. going to buy new rims and tires..
inrltd

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car