1991 plymouth Sundance.

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1991 plymouth Sundance.

Postby inrltd » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Belt squeeks like crazy .. thought it was alternator belt .. tightened it pretty good..

powersteering pump goes back and forth .. i checked on aries and the powersterring is solid on the mount of the engine..

so is the powersteering fluid box suppose to move back and forth..if not how do i fix it .. i tried loosening the tension nut and prying it away from the engine .. but still moves side to side...
inrltd

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1989

Re: 1991 plymouth Sundance.

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:05 pm

There are 2 bolts on the front and a stud with a nut on the rear. It should not move.
MyDodgeDip

Postby inrltd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:22 pm

ok i tightened the bolt on the frame .. the powersteering seems to be good.. then it started making a scratching sound .. i looked at alternator and its bushing is completely gone..

where do i get the rubber gromet type bushing the dealers are all discontinued.. i need like 4 of them and cant find them online
inrltd

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 pm

I am not sure about original rubber ones. Try Arizona Parts.

Also, see this link for Poly replacment alternator bushings.
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/altbushings.html

The replacement solid ones might in this link below might also work.
http://rbryant.freeshell.org/misc_products.htm
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby inrltd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 pm

i got the alternator pretty straight .. i flipped the bushings around and then also replaced the alternator with a new one even though the old one was reading 14v i thought it was the alternator pully..

now i got new alternator and belt.. and tried to get it running the belt squeeks non stop now.. and when i press the accelerator.. even louder... the new belt i bought a couple days ago seems to have a thin line going down the side of it .. like if its about to shred...

i replaced all the stuff and still squeeking .. i put wd 40 on the belt and it stops .. just at a lost and my dad told me it was the belt.. i just bought the belt..

im trying to by some bushings from polybushings.com but they never answer me .. so now im just going to wait and try and order them cause the dealer said there all discontinued...

really hate the squeeking and want to fix it .. thanks
inrltd

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Is your battery in decent shape? Is it regulating properly with the voltage settling down after it starts and charges a little. If the alternator is trying to be driven at maximum output all the time then it might squeal. Otherwise, just replace the belt. Maybe the replacement belt that you put on was old stock and NG from aging. Also, any idler pulley involved that might be bad? Generally putting a little water (or as you put on WD-40) on a squealing belt that makes it quiet down means you need a new belt. If you were running your "new" belt with the old alternator which was loose or slipping or had a bearing that was bad and overheating for awhile you may have glazed the belt.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 am

If the bushings are bad, the alternator doesn't sit square and the belt squeals. Fix the bushings and try tightening it all up again.
MyDodgeDip

Postby inrltd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:49 pm

thanks alot .. i just ordered the bushings .. they were 20 dollars for 2 .. eek.. but its ok .. at least i could find them, he had standard mail for 3.50 and priority for 6 dollars.. then when i asked if it came faster he said not really there the same ... except priority might come a day earlier lol..

im fix this and then get back to u guys.. so glad this forums are here i would be lost without it
inrltd

Postby salem1912 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:15 am

It could be the pulleys are not lining up. With the car running and belt making noise pry the Alt(lightly) to the left or right and see it the noise goes away.
salem1912

Car Information: 1988 Reliant

Postby inrltd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

salem1912 wrote:It could be the pulleys are not lining up. With the car running and belt making noise pry the Alt(lightly) to the left or right and see it the noise goes away.

this car still squeeks i never got it fixed... i tried everything .. if the noise goes away when i pry the alternator what does that mean??

i am now having an issue with fuel... or my car not starting...

change fuel pump and still nothing sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesnt.. i dont know what to do
inrltd

Next

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car