convertible top stuck in down position

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

convertible top stuck in down position

Postby roydds991 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I have been slowly restoring a 1985 chrystler "woody" lebaron over the past several years..I got a new top put on and opened it to enjoy the weather..when i went to raise it it did not work..Any advice on how to raise it manually ? And then any advice why the motor works while opening but not closing. I did have new carpet placed could the switch have beed harmed ?
roydds991

Car Information: 1985 Lebaron "Woody" Convertible

Re: convertible top stuck in down position

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi,

I don't know anything about manually raising the top. The power top motor has a switch on the console that reverses the power to the motor. It's a three wire system, so there is the possibility that in the process of installing the new carpet, one of the wires was damaged. The top motor on these cars is usually mounted behind the rear seat. I would use a voltmeter or test light to make sure power is getting to the two pin motor connector when either the top up or top down position is pressed. I suspect you'll find you do not have power to the motor in the top up position. Another possibility is the switch has gone bad in one position. These switches handle a lot of current and eventually the contacts burn up. It would have been a better system to use relays to handle the current but that would have cost a few more dollars.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby MyDodgeDip » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:41 am

Do you hear the motor/pump running when you hit the button in both directions?
MyDodgeDip

Postby roydds991 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:44 am

I heard the motor as the top was going down but nothing as i attempted to raise it. I see the motor from the trunk.Is there a way to reverse the connections at the motor so it would raise when I depressed the down side of the switch ? I had duramat sound dampner placed under the new carpet and i am afraid if the wire is damaged I will not be able to get to it
roydds991

Postby njr600 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I think Pete is right. It could just be the switch gone bad in one postion. I have you tried to pull it up on your own? I have a 84 dodge 600 conv but my top has never worked off the switch but i'm able to put it up and down by hand though. When i get it replaced i want to get the motor replaced or whatever needs to be replaced for it to go up and down by power. It looks so cool when its going up or down with power lol. Then i worry about what will happen if it locks up on me lol. I may just leave it like it is. Hope you get the problem solved :D
njr600

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 2.2 Turbo

Postby roydds991 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 am

The weather has been great here in atlanta so i have been driving with the top down. i did however try to lift it manually and it did not move,i was afraid i could bend the frame if i kept trying..i have some engine questions also i will post seperatley
roydds991

Postby 86Dodge600ES » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 pm

I had this same exact problem recently. Top went down great but I could not get it up!

I think if I remember right I could hear the relay click when I pressed the button.

Turned out the fix in my situation was to take the relays apart and clean the contacts. I had some real fine sandpaper lying around that worked. Not sure but I am thinking emory cloth might be better?

Dan
86Dodge600ES

Car Information: (2) 1986 Dodge 600 ES Turbo Convertibles

Postby roydds » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 am

GOT IT FIXED ! I was able to manually lift the top slightly which allowed me to trace a wire that had been pulled loose when the new carpet was being installed
After connecting that wire the top motor worked. Thanks for all the help.. Now I have an unusual engine problem..I will ask it in a new post
roydds

Car Information: 1985 chrysler lebaron town and country convertible

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car