removing emblems from my cars body

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

removing emblems from my cars body

Postby bret signorelli » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:37 am

does anybody know how the emblems are attached to my 84 new yorker? I've been considering shaving them off but I'm not sure if they are glued on or bolted on, which would then require body work to cover the holes. I'm also wondering about the strip which runs along the middle of the doors to prevent car doors from opening and banging the door. Any advice is appreciated , thanks
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Re: removing emblems from my cars body

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 am

Why would you want to remove them? I rather like the pentastar, fancy New Yorker logo, etc.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi,

As far as I know the emblems and door trim are held on by adhesives. You can gently pry off the door mouldings with a thin trim stick. There is no telling if you might lift off some paint as well after all these years, so you might want to think twice about removing the trim and emblems.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby bret signorelli » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 am

thanks I think I'll wait until I'm prepared to touch up the paint or add pinstriping. and to answer your question as to why ,i just like the smooth look of lowriders and also the block letter CHRYSLER adjacent to cursive new yorker clashes to me. I do like the pentagon which is actually the hood ornament and the trunk keyhole cover so those are staying. Thanks for the input . I'll post new pictures if and when I do the emblem and door trim "shaving"
bret signorelli

Car Information: Chrysler New Yorker E 1984

Postby 88 aries » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:49 am

I think it would look utterly gay......Just saying :roll:
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 am

To each his own. We are about K-car diversity. I wish I could clone a 1983 Dodge 400 Wagon. I think it would look rather nice. I am a purist at heart. Keep everything original.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car