Cold weather Starting Trouble on my 1979 Cordoba

Come here to help us help you in keeping that car alive. This ongoing project repair site is due in part to the work of Justin Paulson and many others on this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Cold weather Starting Trouble on my 1979 Cordoba

Postby Brenda65 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I have been here before in the past with starting issues on my 1979 chrysler cordoba 225 slant 6. Now that cold weather is here, I am finding myself daily doing more "tap dancing" on the gas pedal to get my old girl started in the mornings. We went through a good streak of starting and now she is back in to her routine of fighting me to start. At times, its hood up with starter fluid directly to the carb to get a glimmer of hope out of her as I pump and pump turning the key. Any suggestions now that cold weather is here for easier starting. Had it tuned and new battery in!

My email is: brendahower65@yahoo.com

Thanks

Brenda
Brenda65

Car Information: 1979 Chrysler Cordoba

Re: Cold weather Starting Trouble on my 1979 Cordoba

Postby salem1912 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 am

Is the flap in the air cleaner closing and sending warn air into the carb while it warms up? Some other things would be EGR coming on too early,accel pump not giving a good stream of fuel. Also make sure your themostat(195*) is working engine must be running at proper temp to keep the plugs from gas fouling in cold weather.
salem1912

Car Information: 1988 Reliant

Re: Cold weather Starting Trouble on my 1979 Cordoba

Postby salem1912 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 am

Also before you start the car remove the air cleaner push the gas pedal and make sure the butterfly is closing. It could be hanging up as over tighting the wingnut some times distorts the air horn of the carb.
salem1912

Car Information: 1988 Reliant

Return to Lets fix/restore/maintain your Classic K-Car